Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Answers

change location
Belsaita's Profile Photo

tours around Uluru area?

by Belsaita Online Now Jul 24, 2009 at 3:43 AM

Hi!

I'll plant to visit the Uluru area at the beginning of September, and I can only allot 3-4 days.

I'm not really a tour person, and I usually like driving... but I'm not sure I'm keen on driving there as I'm traveling alone. I'm not worried about the roads, I'm worried about and driving in the 'wrong' side of the road and with jetlag (I'll fly there directly after my flight from Europe)

I started thinking a tour may be better for me at this point of the trip... any thoughts?

TIA

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • unaS's Profile Photo

Re: tours around Uluru area?

by unaS Online Now Jul 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I stayed in Alice for a couple of nights first then took a 2d/1n tour of Kata Tajuta and Uluru. It was okay, because it isn't the kind of place where they rush you around 10 places when there is only time for 4!

Afterward took a plane to Cairns from Uluru airport. The tour took me to the airport as part of the package.

I used APT: aptouring.com.au/content.asp... because they give you a choice of budget ranges.

but there are lots of others too, like AATKings: http://www.aatkings.com/au/

Have Fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Thumbs up Una! Looks like great advice to me mate :o) I'm just being nosey...because I'd love to do that one day....and around that area I think it's a great idea to do an organised bus trip :o) Thanks! just saved that web site.
    xx

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jul 26, 2009 at 4:56 AM

Thanks Anne. As an Aussie, you really do have to get out there. Why is it that we all seem to skimp on the sites at home?

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Jul 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM

hehehe, its always the same! we cross the ocean but we don't see our own backyard LOL

Thank you unaS, I asked more info at these 2 companies and another I was recommended by a friend. It seems there is the possibility of joining very small groups so it will be not so bad ;)

Ann, looking forward to see you soon... I will gave you first hand info!

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jul 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Good decision Belsiata. The area is a large one, the sites not numerous. The organized tours - which normally I avoid like the plague - are not rushed and not the kind of thing that one wants to avoid in city visits. They stop for long walks and visit all the sites in the area - there are not so many :)

by aussirose Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 4:49 AM

I actually think organised tours are a good idea. There's so much info you can pick up from the guide first hand...and a few stories to go along with it...that you'd probably never know if you had not done it. Plus I love meeting fellow travellers from different parts and having a good yarn ;o)

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 5:09 AM

What I intensley dislike about organized tours is that they will usually visit 4 museums in the same amount of time that I would normally spend in one!
    Not to mention being forced to spend two hours at some place where they want you to buy souvenirs/local product and less than 1/2 an hour at an historic spot that deserves a good deal more time.

by aussirose Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 5:44 AM

Yes, I know what you mean Una. I suppose you have to pick the organised tour. When we live near the Gold Coast we used to see bus loads of Asian tourists visiting 5 locations in one day. I'd hate that! :o) But I guess the Australian outback is different as it's probably at a more slower easy pace. I don't like to be rushed either :o)

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 5:50 AM

Exactly. There are only a limited number of places to visit, all of them provide nice walks and a good guide will also tell you about the nature and the history/spiritual importance of each of them. It's only in the hotels site 'village' that there are tourist souvenir shops :)

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 6:22 AM

thanks unaS and Ann, this is re-assuring

my fears were ending in one of these 'if today is Wednesday this should be Belgium' kind of tour :)

I'm waiting for the reply on one of the companies but definitely these tours does not seem so rushed (probably because there are not 4 museums to visit in one morning LOL)

And I guess the type of people who decides to do a tour in a dessert that includes some hiking and sleeping in tents is not the same kind of people who complains because there are only old stones, the food is not the same as at home and there is not a proper bar where to wait... (no kidding: these were the complaints all the time on the only tour I did in Egypt years ago and that made me avoiding tours since then!!)

by aussirose Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Well if you are going to do some camping Isa...then that will definately be an experience! Sounds great!! :o) Yes, it never ceased to amaze me that people have to winge!! For goodness sake!!...I'll never understand that! ...maybe they just didn't do their homework properly. You, Isa...on the other hand are doing your homework!!...and it sounds like you have got a fantastic itinery planned mate!! :o) I've just asked Una to join us as a va in the Whitsundays ;o) ....so you can have some fun too mate ;o) How good is that!! haha.

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 6:37 AM

I also read that brochure about the camping trips. It looked great, although I didn't take it in the end. I'm sure you will have the best time with that kind of a group.

Can't be a VA. It would drive me nuts. I want it to be real!

by aussirose Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Camping's so much fun! :o) Actually it'll be a good time of year ..... you shouldn't get to bombarded by flies :o) Well Una.... one day hopefully you can make it for real mate :o) I'd be only too happy to show you around Perth should you decide to come downunder :o) xx

• unaS's Profile Photo

by unaS Online Now Jul 27, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Here's hoping...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)