Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Answers

change location
bigstevo48's Profile Photo

Hiring cars at Uluru Airport

by bigstevo48 Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Hi,
I wish to fly into Uluru (Ayers Rock) later this month (Dec), then hire a car upon arrival. I then wish to drive to Alice Springs then on to Darwin. I cannot find a car hire company that offers unlimited klms. Can anybody help?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: Hiring cars at Uluru Airport

by vtveen Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 8:15 AM

A couple of years ago we had a rental car from Thrifty through the Visitor Centre in Alice Springs with unlimited km's. I really don't know if it still does excist, but you could give it a try. See for more info:
    members.virtualtourist.com/v...

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Hiring cars at Uluru Airport

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 2, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Uluru is probably the worst place for renting a car on a one way base. If you pick up and return the car there you can well get unlimited kilometres. Some companies do not even have the option of returning the car at a different location. So you have to go with the big companies.

I have just calculated a rental with Avis and see that their calculation is also based on limited kilometres - which is a bit scary in a huge country like Australia. I would contact them directly and ask for a quote with unlimited kilometres.

But you can also calculate how much it would approximately cost with limited kilometres. I calculated a rate for a full size car, for 14 days in December. This comes to AU$ 1046. 1400 km (100 per day) are included. An additional km costs AU$ .25.

The distance Uluru to Darwin is about 2000 km, and of course, you would make plenty of side trips, let's add another 600 km. So we are at 2600 km. You would have to pay for 1200 extra km, so this comes to AU$ 300. And your total would be AU$ 1346.

What I would most probably do if I wanted to drive a lot of kilometres would be to rent a car in Uluru, drop it off in Alice Springs, and hire a car with unlimited kms there. I rented a bushcamper in Alice Springs once, and this was with unlimited kms. However, as the distance Uluru - Alice Springs is nearly 500 km (direct route) the extra kms above 100 could come at a cost if you want to get to Alice as fast as possible. You also have to consider that short term rentals are always dearer than long-term. So in the end you could be better off by keeping the car from Uluru...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)