Travel Answers
Ulaanbaatar

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Travel by horseback to northern lakes, and western altai region.

by littlevampire Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Heyo! What's the best way to get started on a horse trek (ger to ger) from Ulaanbaatar to the northern lakes and western altai region? Anyone has any recommendations on whether i should buy/rent a horse, and recommendation for a guide? What are the prices for guides /per day currently?

Thanks so much

5 Answers Mar 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    • Train to Darkhan from UB

by gingertravels Online Now Sep 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hi, can I get a train ticket on the day of travel from UB to Darkhan? Has anyone done it and is it easy enough to do with no Mongolian language skills! Thanks (this may have posted twice due to email verification confusion!)

1 Answer Sep 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    • Train to Darkhan

by gingertravels Online Now Sep 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Can you book a train to Darkhan from UB on the same day - and is it easy or do I need to speak Mongolian! Thanks...

• Where to buy?

by YLB Online Now Aug 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Where can I find knitting yarns in Ulan Bator?

• Cost of train ticket

by laiannie Online Now Jun 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I want to go by train from Beijing to Ulan Bator, can i buy the tickets on the same day and how much do they cost

2 Answers Jun 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    • short stay in UB

by jsel Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Hello everyone,

I am planning to spend a total of 2 nights in UB before I go to the west of mongolia.

are 2 nights enough to get a quick glimpse of the city?

4 Answers May 11, 2013 at 4:22 AM
    • Blacklamb's Profile Photo

Water

by Blacklamb Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:05 AM

What is the safest approach to drinking water? I was told be careful since many vendors reseal plastic bottle lids with heat to make you think they contain safe water when in fact, they bottles that have been used used and refilled with water that can make you very ill.

3 Answers Feb 28, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    • Blacklamb's Profile Photo

First time traveler

by Blacklamb Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM

What are the top five considerations for first time travelers to Mongolia? I plan to visit with my daughter in July and we will be spending time in UB, the Gobi and Gun-Galnut Nature Reserve and Flaming Cliffs. Your advice please?

10 Answers Mar 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    • mayasmin's Profile Photo

Going to Mongolia

by mayasmin Online Now Mar 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM

We've always wanted to go to Mongolia, and Ulaanbaatar, during Ulaanbaatar's Naadam festival. The airfares, however, during that period are usually prohibitive; we are thus trying to convince ourselves that we should just go to Mongolia outside of the Naadam festival. Can we see traditional wrestling, archery, or horseback riding during the regular (non-Naadam) season? What are the pros/cons for going to Mongolia (and Ulaanbaatar) during non-Naadam period? Any other thoughts from those who have been to Mongolia during non-Naadam period?

Thank you so much!

6 Answers Apr 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    • srisiam's Profile Photo

Where can I get a flower delivery service (UB)?

by srisiam Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I outside of Mongolia at the moment and I want to order a flower for my wife who lives in UB. I would like to have a phone number of flower shop with delivery service. Thank you.

P.S. This is kinda urgent. It's her special occasion.

3 Answers Dec 27, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    • Tribal rugs in Ulaanbaatar

by 137Guest137 Online Now Sep 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Hi
      Any idea where I can buy a tribal rug when I go to Ulaanbaatar soon? I understand from friends that the only ones in the Govt Department Store are machine made and pretty horrible.
      Thanks

2 Answers Nov 15, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    • Cell phones in Ulaanbaatar

by njnerdan Online Now Jul 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM

My son is traveling to Ulaanbaatar with a group of 9 college students for 2 weeks. What is the best thing to do for a cell phone there. The don't really need phones to chat on, but would like to have them in case of emergencies and to keep in touch with each other occasionally. My first thought was to stop at the Walmart there and pick up a trakfone, but I don't think that will work. Verizon has a plan for international travel, but it is4.99 a minute. I have seen some companies that offer international phones at1.99 a minute to either buy or lease. Is there another option there in Mongolia?
      Thanks!

2 Answers Jul 24, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    • Who is going in Ulanbator

by toimch Online Now Jul 18, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I have free time and I wanna meet people.. toimch@yahoo.com

• Marthamaire's Profile Photo

Two free days in Ulaanbaatar

by Marthamaire Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I will be in Ulaanbaatar for two days by myself. Anyone who has been there who loves history, politics and women's/minority issues - if you only had two free days, what would you see? I found the CCCP resturant and that will be a stop for me. I am a single lady who will be alone.

• Mongolia in late Oct

by lizandbillf Online Now Oct 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Hi, We are thinking of visiting Mongolia for a 7 day vacation the last week in Oct (yes in 2 weeks!). We will be bringing our two young intrepid travelers (ages 4 and 7). I know it can be a bit chilly, the temp on average is around freezing, but I am more concerned if there will be anything for us to do or see this late in the season. What is the Gobi like? Are there any Gar camps left up or has everyone retreated for the winter?

Any thoughts and info folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

1 Answer Oct 12, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    • tafferx's Profile Photo

Train from Ulan Batar to mongolia

by tafferx Online Now Aug 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Hello,
      Is it easy to get a train from Ulan Batar to Beijing or will I need to book it a little in advance? I plan to stay 3 weeks or more in Mongolia. Just wondering.
      Oh and how much will it will cost for 4 compartment sleeper or whatever really.
      I'll be backpacking about the place :)

Thanks

5 Answers Aug 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    • LaurenAnita's Profile Photo

Any Advice At All

by LaurenAnita Online Now Jul 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Hello! In the coming months, it is a good possibility that my family and I will be living in UB for business, and none of us really know what to expect. Where can we expect to live? What will it be like? What are the educational possibilities for a student who wants to transfer from overseas? What's the healthcare like? Any thing you can tell me that would help would be amazingly helpful and appreciated.

6 Answers Sep 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM
    • Public transport from airport to city centre

by tezzy Online Now Jul 6, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Everyone recommends I should take a taxi for that and *unfortunately* would die to public transport instead!

Could anyone out there be kind enough to give me step-by-step directives from the moment when I step out of the airport building?

Thanks in advance,
      Tezzy

1 Answer Dec 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    • Cool-123's Profile Photo

Transportation

by Cool-123 Online Now Jun 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Hi all,

How can I get to the Khustai National Park from UB? How much is the entry fee? Can I book the ger camp once I arrive in the park?

Thanks

Edith

2 Answers Aug 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    • drache777's Profile Photo

Please Any Travel Companion Visiting Gobi during June/July 2010?

by drache777 Online Now Jun 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Hello Guys

I have booked a tour exploring south of Gobi for the first time from 30th June to 6th July inclusive and wondering if any travel companion(s) would like to join me going together.

Places I have planned to see:
      -the Baga Gazriin Chuluu-Rock formations
      -Yoliin Am-Vulture Gorge
      -Khongor Sand Dunes
      -Bayan Zag-Flaming Cliffs
      -Ongi Monastery Ruins and
      -Khara Khorum-The Ancient Capital where the Erdene Zuu Monastery is located

Duration: 7Days6Nights

What will be arranged:
      All meals in the countryside, 4wd transportations, guiding, ger camp accommodation for 6 nights, national Park entrance fee & airport pick up

Reason For Posting the Question:
      Traveling Alone will be lonely as you cant share anything with someone and nobody to talk to ....!! Also going together will lower the costs per person by around USD200 for the whole trip ;))

P.S. you need to arrange your own international transportation to and from your home ;)

Many thanks for your time in reading and hope to hear from you soon
      Happy Travel in Mongolia Everybody ;-)

Cheers
      Lung

3 Answers Jun 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    • bar scene

by dhrohanna Online Now May 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM

is there a bar in UB city called TBBM ?

• Pickpocketing

by bloke23 Online Now Mar 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Hi - I am going to Ulaanbaatar in April and would like to know (from people who have been there) do I have anything to worry about in terms of pickpocketing and crime?

I'm staying near the circus

Thanks

3 Answers Apr 28, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    • mosque in Ulan Bator

by CAMILO9015 Online Now Oct 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I know that the majority muslims in Mongolia are Kazakhs who live in the west

but, I know that there is a mosque in Ulan Bator... I have not gotten images of it

I would like information about it

I will travel to Mongolia, in January

1 Answer Oct 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    • Weather

by carol509 Online Now May 22, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I'm planning a trip to Mongolia in Sept.- the 1st through the 17th. We will be going mostly south from Ulaan Baatar. What can we expect as far as weather condidtions like temperature range and rain?

Thank You.

Carol Dean

1 Answer May 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    • happyhourkid's Profile Photo

nightlife in Ulaanbaatar

by happyhourkid Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Hi all-

I'm going to be in Ulaanbaatar in October 2008 and I arrive on a Sunday afternoon and leave the next Thursday. So unfortunately I won't be around over a Friday and Saturday weekend. Is there still some decent nightlife to be found on a Sunday through Wednesday night? If so, which nightclubs or bars are recommended?

If the nightlife shuts down during the week, is the weekend nightlife good enough to make it worth changing my travel arrangements to put me in Ulaanbaatar over a weekend?

I appreciate the info. Thanks everyone!!!

Chris

2 Answers Sep 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM
    • happyhourkid's Profile Photo

The train from Beijing to Ulaanbaatar

by happyhourkid Online Now Sep 2, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Hey all,

I'm booked on this train in October. I believe I'm riding on the Mongolian Train (I guess there's also a Chinese train and a Russian train). Has anyone else ridden on this train? If so I have 2 questions and some sub-questions:

1. Does this train make any stops along the way besides the change of gauge stop in Erenhot? If so, which other towns does it stop in? Is it possible to exit the train when it makes these stops (even just to walk along the platform)?

2. Does anyone have any recommendations to make the 30+ hour ride more fun, comfortable, etc? Everytime I read a forum it only says to bring instant noodles and playing cards. I need a wider spectrum that that!

Thanks everyone,

Chris

2 Answers Sep 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM
    • flight ticket pick up

by jareklegnica Online Now Jul 14, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I have a booked on line flight from Moscow-Berlin but a have to show this ticket in Russian embassy, where in Ulan Bator I can take this ticket !!!??? Is it free or a have to pay for it.

• HELP !!! rusian visa in Ulan Bator

by jareklegnica Online Now Jul 14, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Hello
      I am from Poland,I am looking travel agency who make a Russian visa (tourist or transit) I will have a train ticket Ulan Bator - Moscow
      How many days i have to ??? and how much it cost ???
      Anyone know adress ???
      please write me back

• TomJenner's Profile Photo

Finding baby stuff in Ulaanbaatar

by TomJenner Online Now Feb 18, 2008 at 7:18 PM

I will be moving to Ulaanbaatar this summer with my wife Veronica and our 9 month old baby Eric. Does anyone have any information on how easy it is to get hold of baby stuff (powdered milk, nappies/diapers, winter clothes for babies, cribs, etc)? We will be travelling over from El Salvador, which is about as far from Mongolia as you can get. We will transport some things with us, but it will probably be expensive to bring any big items. Any info on what is available locally would be a big help.
      Thanks

Tom

5 Answers Mar 20, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    • Niekie's Profile Photo

Train UB - Beijing

by Niekie Online Now Jun 4, 2007 at 6:54 AM

Looking for advise on train travel between Ulaan Baator and Beijing.

I am in the process of organising a three week train trip from the Netherlands all the way to Beijing (we'll fly back). Obviously we want to make a few stops along the way, but we won't have a lot of time. I read somewhere that there aren't many trains between UB en Beijing and because August is a busy season it is advised to book train tickets ahead of time. What do you think? Should I use an agent to get tickets for the UB - Beijing stretch to make sure we don't get stuck in Mongolia waiting for a train? We do have a plane to catch in Beijing and we don't have much leeway. Is there an agent you would recommend? Or do you think we should be fine if we buy the tickets when we arrive in UB two or three days before we leave again. Are there alternatives to the transmongolian trains? (In case it matters - we want to depart UB on August saterday 18th or sunday 19th.)

Your advice is much appreciated.

Niekie

4 Answers Jun 11, 2007 at 5:43 AM