Ulaanbaatar Travel Answers

change location

Mongolia in late Oct

by lizandbillf Online Now Oct 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Hi, We are thinking of visiting Mongolia for a 7 day vacation the last week in Oct (yes in 2 weeks!). We will be bringing our two young intrepid travelers (ages 4 and 7). I know it can be a bit chilly, the temp on average is around freezing, but I am more concerned if there will be anything for us to do or see this late in the season. What is the Gobi like? Are there any Gar camps left up or has everyone retreated for the winter?

Any thoughts and info folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • TomJenner's Profile Photo

Re: Mongolia in late Oct

by TomJenner Online Now Oct 12, 2010 at 11:22 AM

It is already getting cold in Mongolia by now, but should be bearable if you have the right clothing. What you need to be most careful of is that the temperatures can plummet, even in the middle of the summer. You will need to travel with plenty of winter clothing just in case. Last year I went to the Gobi with my wife, 3 year old son and some friends. We stayed at the 3 camels lodge (http://www.threecamellodge.com/), which is an upmarket ger camp. Most other camps are closed by that time. We went in early November and we were the last to stay at the camp before it closed for the winter. Apparently, October is the best time as its not too hot and the cold weather has still not started properly. It is noticably warmer than in Ulaanbaatar. However, when we were there it cooled a lot and there was an unseasonal snow storm. We were confined to the ger camp for one of the days, but we enjoyed playing in the snow with our son. There are a few places to visit from the camp. You will need to arrange a vehicle and driver to take you to the camp from Dalanzadgad (and remain with you for your stay). Its not a cheap trip, but its not that high either.

Tom

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Ulaanbaatar