Ukraine Travel Answers

change location

Must i carry my passport?

by jdscott Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Is it essential to carry my actual passport with me whilst in the Ukraine. Will a photocopy do, and what are the consequences of not presenting the original?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Must i carry my passport?

by xymmot Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Must carry a passport when you travel, but a photocopy is acceptable when you do not carry the passport in case of emergency. The claim that the original is in the hotel safe goes well with the police. If they want the real document, they will take you to the hotel to get it. That's when you are in big trouble, but I always just carry a photocopy when staying abroad.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Must i carry my passport?

by jdscott Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Thanks. I always worry about losing my original passport while i'm carrying it around abroad. Ideally, i'd rather carry a photocopy around with me if that will suffice.

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 7:35 AM

In all my years of travelling in Ukraine,I have never been asked for my passport,though a copy was required when purchasing train tickets.They apparently have re-introduced this system now.If you're worried I suggest to take a copy.

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Legally speaking, you need to have ID on you in any country you travel, even your own. As you do not have a Ukrainian driver's license or national card, the only valid ID will be your passport.

That said, carrying the original is not a good idea. If you can get a notarized/certified copy from your embassy/government agency before you go, that copy will be fine. While a regular copy is more or less fine, it could make a non-problematic situation slightly more complicated if you're stopped.

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Any country that issues a national ID will require people to carry one. Ukraine included.

• Pomocub's Profile Photo

by Pomocub Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I have never carried my passport with me when I have been in Ukraine, I like to know that it is safe in the hotel safe. I have been to Ukraine 3 times now and been to different cities. I have never been asked to produce my passport. If you would prefer to be prepared then take a photocopy in your wallet. Pick pocketing can be quite common in some areas of Ukraine so personally I would not take my original passport with me incase it gets stolen.

Obviously you will need your original passport to check into a hotel, hire a car and most importantly gain access to the country.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

by hunterV Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 3:08 AM

No problem, a photocopy will do, relax and have a good time!

• plainnuts's Profile Photo

by plainnuts Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM

If you need to exchange money you will need your passport as they will make a copy.

• taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

by taurean_traveller Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I have never been asked for my passport when changing money in Ukraine.
    However my wife's family tell me that a lot of the money changing kiosks ar being closed and people are being forced to go to the bank. It is possible that in the bank you will need your passport.
    I have never been into a bank to change money,as the kiosks rates were better and no commission was charged,but that now may have changes.

• plainnuts's Profile Photo

by plainnuts Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I was surprised about being asked, might be something new.I read they were trying to close some of the kiosk but didn't notice. Went to Bukovel then back to Kyiv two weeks ago and used the same places I always use to change money.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Ukraine Travel Answer Locations