Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Leiden/Amsterdam : Cards, Tickets and passes

Amsterdam 9 hours ago

I will be visiting Netherlands next year with my wife and 6 month baby. I will be staying in Oegstgeest, outer Leiden. I am quite confused about the best and cheapest travel options including travel cards or passes and tickets. Below is my planned itinerary with costs:

Day 1: Travel from Schiphol airport to Oegstgeest : 7 Euros per person (NS train and Bus 20/21 to Leidsebuurt), without OV Chipkaart. Sightseeing in Leiden through walking.

Day 2: Travel from Oegstgeest to Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person. Sightseeing in and around Amsterdam including Heineken Experience, Dam Square, Westermarket, Flea/waterlooplein, Skinny bridge, Vondelpark, Van Gogh/Anne Frank museums, windmills etc.
      Travelling back to Oegstgeest from Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person.

Day 3: Travel from bus 854 from Leiden Centraal to Keukenhof for 4 Euros per person. From there we will go to Haarlem, via Schiphol and further to Zaanse Schans via Amsterdam Centraal.
      Then Travelling back to Oegstgeest from Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person.

Day 4: Travel from Oegstgeest to Amsterdam Centraal using train for 10 Euros per person for catching Thalys train to paris.

For the above itinerary, Im planning to buy the below cards/passes:
      1) Multiday transport card - GVB for 24 hrs : 7.50 Euros each person for Day 2 around Amsterdam
      2) Amsterdam & Region Day Card for 24 hrs : 13.50 Euros each person for Day 3 around Keukenhof, Haarlem and Zaanse Schans.

Please let me know how I can make my trip most economical or if I have opted for the correct tickets and passes. I want to spend lowest on travel and use only public transport-trains, buses, trams etc. Also the fact that Multiday card is valid on only GVB transport...for rest I will have to pay.

As a rough calculation im spending 170-180 euros (including card prices), only for travel for 3 days. This I think is too much and I want to reduce the costs. Please suggest some alternate options so I can reduce the travelling costs around Leiden or some buses etc for to and fro journeys to Amsterdam central and back.

Awaiting reply...

• maz100's Profile Photo

tram and train ticket

Amsterdam Sep 26, 2015 at 2:35 AM

If I go from Zeeburg P&R coach park at Zuiderzeeweg, take the tram 26 to centraal station and then the train to Sloterdijk coach park, can I do it on one ticket or do I have to get a separate ticket for train and tram?

• Travel outside Arnhem

Arnhem Sep 29, 2015 at 8:31 AM

We are staying in Arnhem, but want to get to Pony-en Paardensportver "De Spreng" every day to watch the World's Dog Agility Competition in April 2016. Are their local buses available or will we have to rent a car?

• Transfer at Amsterdam

Schiphol Sep 30, 2015 at 2:41 PM

I am flying from Boston to Amsterdam with Delta and then Amsterdam to Glasgow with KLM. I have 1 hour and 40 mins between flights. My bags should be checked all the way through so I shouldn't need to pick them up and recheck. I was just wondering if I will have to go through security/passport control again before the flight to Glasgow?

• 55 minutes between flights

Schiphol Sep 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM

I will be connecting from a Delta flight from Atlanta, Georgia, United States to another Delta flight to Bergen Norway thru Amsterdam. Will I make it? Do I go thru immigration or security again in Amsterdam before boarding flight to Bergen. Thanks.

• Keukenhof from Leiden: Cheapest option?

Keukenhof Sep 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM

I wish to travel to keukenhof next year and will also purchase Amsterdam & Region Day card. While I will be staying in Leiden, I dont want to take the 858 bus from Schiphol. It will save me time if I directly board bus number 854 from Leiden Central. Now my question is how to purchase the ticket of this bus as its cost is not included in the region day card. Also I wont be returning back from the same route and I will further go to Haarlem, Zaanse Schans and come back via Amsterdam central on the same day. Which option will be more economical from the below and what shall be the total cost incurred:

a) Taking one way bus ticket of 854 number from Leiden central to Keukenhof
      b) Buying combi ticket
      c) Connexxion office ticket including entrance to the Keukenhof gardens for bus 54..which is 15.50€ as written in one of the post above.

Please inform on priority.

• geralvon's Profile Photo

getting a bus map

Arnhem Sep 13, 2015 at 9:55 AM

How do I get a map of the bus/trolley routes in and around Arnhem?

• Museum location

by fingerfood2112 Online Now Oct 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have visited Uithuizen and Uithuizermeeden several times, having had friends who lived in the area. The entire area is most beautiful, and if I could live in Holland (which is on my Bucket List), it would have to be Uithuizen or Uithuizermeeden. One of the places I visited was a small WWII museum, but I can't remember which town it was in. I remember it was in a very beautiful neighbourhood, with tree-lined streets, and immaculate houses, and the museum itself was nearly tree-covered. The museum had a mannequin of a Canadian soldier, whose uniform was that of a Royal Canadian Corps of Signals soldier. Can you tell me whether it is in "jou dorp of in Uithuizen".

6 Answers Oct 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM