Udine Travel Answers

change location
ambodoira's Profile Photo

Sabbadini & Ziraldo family from Udine & Friuli

by ambodoira Online Now May 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Ciao,

Both my maternal grandmother and grandfather are from Udine. Louis (Luigi) Sabbadini was born in 1920 in Udine and emigrated to the United States sometime before WWII. A few of his brothers stayed behind in Udine, one of them was named Joseppi. My grandfather's mother was Ada Sabbadini, also from Udine.

My maternal grandmother was born in the US, but her father and mother, Querico and Valeria Ziraldo, lived in Udine until shortly after WWI, when they emigrated with their firstborn, Leonard, to the United States.

I'd love to be put in contact with anyone who might be a distant relation. Also, I'm very much interested in learning Friuli. Any ideas how I might go about that, apart from moving to Udine? I'd like to learn the language, then visit in Udine to conduct some historical research.

Best,
Anne Marie

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • effeti's Profile Photo

Re: Sabbadini & Ziraldo family from Udine & Friuli

by effeti Online Now May 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Is there a Fogolar Furlan in your state?
    The community of expats of Friuli is very strong (there is an active one in my town, verona, even if so close to their homeland). They may be big help. The FurlĂ n language is a thing on its own...
    This is just one example: windsor-communities.com/ital...
    As for relatives, paginebianche.it/index_en.ht... lists 120 Sabbadini entries in the Friuli Venezia Giulia region....
    Good luck!
    Ciao
    Francesco

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines