Udine Travel Answers

change location

People and culture in Udine

by maybetara Online Now Jun 8, 2003 at 8:36 PM

Hello! I've been told that the people and culture of Udine is very different from the people and culture of Southern Italy, that the Udinese are a little colder, more industrialised, and a little less friendly towards foreigners, especially non-Italians. Im going there soon and am wondering how the people and the culture of udine are like?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

Re: People and culture in Udine

by dnwitte Online Now Jun 8, 2003 at 8:50 PM

I spent a week in Udine a few years ago. The area is an interesting mix of Italian, Slavic and Austrian culture which is evident especially in the food and the architecture, as well as the dialect, and the people don't look especially Italian. I found them,er, a bit reserved and discreet, but generally not at all unpleasant. I found Udine actually a nice break from all the noise and shouting of elsewhere in Italy--Udine is strikingly quiet-- but then I had just come from Napoli which I found unbearable in every way.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: People and culture in Udine

by maybetara Online Now Jun 8, 2003 at 9:15 PM

Hi! Thanks for your reply! I feel a little sad you didnt like naples-i was there for 2 weeks just after winter this year for my boyfriend and i thought the napolitans were very very hospitable and friendly, and the city very beautiful if a little haphazard and dirty. but yes the people are very loud and can be rude, especially in traffic conditions!: they seemed also extremely hyper during football matches!! ive been told that udine on the other hand is much more organised and calm. Did you see many foreigners there? What did you do there for fun? Thanks.:>

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo

Re: People and culture in Udine

by sierralyndon Online Now Jun 9, 2003 at 2:07 AM

The whole of Friuli is a bit quiet and reserved I think. There aren't as many overseas visitors to those areas (except for the hordes of Slovenians and Austrians who come across the border for shopping and food), so there isn't much of a "tourism" culture. Which is good if you're looking for peace and quiet, but not so good if you don't speak Italian and want to do lots! I think that if you don't know anyone there, it can seem a little bit "closed". My husband is from Udine, so I know the town pretty well. And so even though I'm foreign, having friends and family there helps a lot to make you feel less of an "outsider". I have some info on my Udine travel page if you want to have a look, I still have lots to add but haven't had time. You can email me for more info if you want.

by maybetara Online Now Jun 13, 2003 at 1:50 AM

Thanks for the info! Where are you from originally? I'll be relocating there sometime next year. How is life there?

by mat-trst Online Now Jul 10, 2003 at 7:30 AM

Hi, actually I'm from Trieste, 90 km from Udine, but same region - Friuli Venezia Giulia. People here are quite reserved and the atmosphere you breath is different from Southern Italy. Life is calm and of high quality. You shouldn't have any problems in making contacts, we are not as serious as it may initially appear. In the Friulian part of our region (Udine) people often speak Friulian, a language belonging to the same group as Ladinian and Rhetoromanian, while on the border with Slovenia (Trieste, Gorizia) there is a Slovene speaking minority. Our region is culturally rich and interesting.

• RE: RE: People and culture in Udine

by TomCACleveland Online Now Jul 19, 2005 at 9:43 PM

I saw your response! Anyway I am visiting Germany, Austria, Slovenia, and Italy leaving on this thursday! I am planning on visiting Cividale where my mother's father was from and stayng between Trieste and Venice. My question is is there still a Slovenian community in this area with their own churches and such? I know there are problems and have been. I also will be visitng Slovenia to see where my father's family was from and just plain vacationing. You mentioned that your husband was from Udine...what is a must see! Sorry I am rambling ! Tom from CA originally from Cleveland, Ohio

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines