Udaipur Travel Answers

change location

The lakes at Udaipur....

by Tom&kat Online Now Dec 4, 2004 at 2:03 PM

Hi. There are disturbing rumours that the lakes at Udaipur have dried up - is this true? Any reports about the general scene there would be welcome too. Thanks Tom & Kat

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: The lakes at Udaipur....

by travelmad478 Online Now Dec 4, 2004 at 5:01 PM

When I was there in Feb 2003 the main lake still had plenty of water, but the surrounding ones were almost dry. This was following a prolonged (multi-year) period of drought and abnormally low rainfall. The monsoon in summer 2003 was a good one, ie a lot of water, and the 2004 monsoon was about average so I'd guess that the water level is probably a bit better than it was when I was there. But don't look for much in the smaller lakes. See my Udaipur page for photographic evidence...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: The lakes at Udaipur....

by Tom&kat Online Now Dec 4, 2004 at 9:09 PM

Thanks. Of course that WAS nearly 2 years ago....... I heard much of Rajasthan missed this years monsoon. Let's see if we get an on-the-spot report Cheers Tom

• indiabazaar's Profile Photo

Re: Re: The lakes at Udaipur....

by indiabazaar Online Now Dec 5, 2004 at 2:33 AM

I am from Udaipur welcome to udaipur town. Udaipur lakes are not full of water but not even compeltly dry. they have only little water just cover up lake dry ground. but if you stay in lake palace you will still need boat. but i hope and belive u will still like Udaipur town its very beautiful and historical Ajay

by Tom&kat Online Now Dec 5, 2004 at 1:46 PM

Thanks Ajay. Sorry to hear that the water is so low. Guess we'll still be coming though. Tom

by Turleyhead Online Now Dec 5, 2004 at 11:18 PM

My friends just got back 2 days ago from Udaipur. They said that indeed, the lakes are dried up. The lake where the Lake Palace Hotel is is dried up by about 25%. You can still take the boat across to get there, and that keeps the mirage alive for the tourists. However, budget tourists who can't afford the boat trips can actually walk there by going around on the other side, which has completely dried up. The Lake Palace is no longer on an island....sorry.

• Re: The lakes at Udaipur....

by Anabel111 Online Now Dec 8, 2004 at 5:40 AM

Hi... I was there at the end of September and the lake was very dry...and yes you can walk across it....there is a section with water...but it doesn't look like the postcards anymore !!! Still Udaipur is very beautiful....even with a half full lake !

• nehadesai's Profile Photo

by nehadesai Online Now Dec 12, 2004 at 2:21 PM

I just got back from Udaipur and stayed at the Lake Palace for a couple of nights - yes the lake has dried up a bit but there was still some water so we were not too dissappointed - it's still very beautiful.... Neha

by davlap Online Now Dec 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Hi no the lake,s are good at the moment ,no problems about boat rides.Am hear at the moment ,so if there ,s anything you would like to know specifically let me know . Otherwise there are some really good pages to look at on vt.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Dec 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM

davlap, do you realize that you are responding to a post that is six years old? Perhaps the water level in the lakes may have changed since 2004!

by davlap Online Now Dec 4, 2010 at 1:40 AM

ohh i, know ,lynnehamond just let me know. hold on i will be back on earth in a minute.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines