Ubud Travel Answers

change location
yayiw's Profile Photo

Ogoh ogoh parade 22-Mar 2012

by yayiw Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I'll be in Ubud on 21-24 March. Yes, I know it's Nyepi week and noone should be out walking around, no lights, yadayadayada. I understand that on 22-March (a day before Nyepi/Seclusion day), there will be the Ogoh-ogoh parade. Can any of VT-ers from Ubud tell me the location of the parade, the time of the parade, what to pack (aside from photography equipment) and what to expect from the parade?
Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • IdreamIam's Profile Photo

Re: Ogoh ogoh parade 22-Mar 2012

by IdreamIam Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM

We were in Ubud for the parade, oh, about 10 or 12 years ago. The parade was really enjoyable, from memory it was about dusk. We have just returned from Ubud and we noticed the big characters were in the process of being made when we were there. IN the days leading up to the parade as you move around the different areas you will see that each village will have their own character. They are really large and a number of men carrry the figure on a platform. At the end they go back to their areas and are burnt. Your hotel will be able to tell you the exact time and the streets the prade goes along. I know one of the characters for the main Ubud area was burnt on the football field that is in Monkey Forrest Road so it has to end up there, the football field id on the corner of Monkey Forest St and Dewi Sita St(I think that is the name of the street. Back then there were only a few Restaurants open after the parade, you are better off eating at your hotel, I can't imagine it would be any different now. We enjoyed the parade and having to stay in your hotel for the day is not an issue. There is really nothing you need to "pack" except for your camera unless you have to travel quite a way to see the parade. As I said your Hotel will be able to fill you in.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • yayiw's Profile Photo

by yayiw Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Hi Agung.
    thanks for the offer. But I want to stay the whole time in Ubud.

• yayiw's Profile Photo

by yayiw Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 4:27 AM

hi IdreamIam
    I'll be staying in a villa near Campuhan. I guess I can just ask the villa owner and his helpers to tell me more about the parade. After all I will come on the 21st, must be enough time to do some survey/preparation.

Thanks

• IdreamIam's Profile Photo

by IdreamIam Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hi Yayi, you really won't have any problems, when we saw it in Ubud it must have taken about 30 - 40 minuts so there was quite a bit to see, we loved it.

• Ubudian's Profile Photo

by Ubudian Online Now Mar 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM

You can check my home pages about Nyepi, specifically Nyepi in Ubud and this coming one will be my 15th consecutive Nyepi here in Ubud.

"Book Your Trip Over Nyepi, the Balinese New Year" - Bali Things to Do Tip by Ubudian

You are wise to stay in Ubud for the ogoh ogoh parades as it’s not a good night to be driving around Bali.

In central Ubud there is always a great display and parade of the ogoh ogoh right at the soccer field. In addition, all the small villages surrounding Ubud will have their own parades of ogoh ogoh as well.

This is a great photo op but be careful not to get run over by these huge ogoh ogoh as once they get going they aren’t easy to stop.

Selamat hari raya Nyepi!

• Re: Ogoh ogoh parade 22-Mar 2012

by wentbytrain Online Now Mar 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

just try some logical thinking: Ubud is not very big-it is in fact about 2 major/narrow roads and a very few short sidestreets. Do you really think that noone-at the placeyoustay or on the street-would be able to tell you were the parade would pass by?
    In Indo they do the jam karet=rubber time. They do not have the to the minute obsession westerners have. it comes when they think it is fit-or when the dukun tells it is a conspicuous time to set off. It is after dusk-of course. No one would want to be in the sun. You do not have to pack anything-as by magic there will be stalls selling anything people might need or are prone to forget. Maybe that is why Bali remains so attractive-for these festivities they do not give a d..n about what the orang turis wants or requires.

• yayiw's Profile Photo

by yayiw Online Now Mar 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
    I think I'm prepared for my next week's trip.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines