Ubud Travel Answers

change location
SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Buying Paintings

by SFHulaGIrl Online Now Jun 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM

There's probably no easy answer for this, but... I'm interested in buying paintings in/around Ubud. Where can I get the widest selection at the best prices -- in Ubud, in Tohlunduh, Keliki or elsewhere? I prefer scenes of traditional Balinese life in Pengosekan style. Does anyone have particular galleries or artists that they can suggest (with a price range)?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Ubudian's Profile Photo

Re: Buying Paintings

by Ubudian Online Now Jun 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Hi Tina! I hope things are well in San Francisco.

The best way to buy paintings in Ubud is directly from the artist. Gallery prices tend to be up to double that of what you’ll pay when dealing with the artist directly.

I’ve been collecting and dealing Balinese art for 14 years. Some of my personal favorites in the traditional schools are:

I Ketut Soki in Penestanan. He is regarded as the founder of what is commonly referred to as the Young Artists School. He is the master, so his work is more expensive than the other artists working in this style. You can Google him for more details. His work is investment caliber.

I Dewa Putu Mokoh in Pengosekan. His work is world class and of also investment caliber as his international exhibition record is substantial as well as having a strong auction record. Both of his sons also paint and in a style similar to their father. You can Google him for more details.

Keliki Miniature School. There are a number of excellent artists working in the traditional Balinese style there. These are highly sought after and almost impossible to find without visiting the village itself.

The best way to visit these artists is by a hired car (Kijang) with driver. It is essential that you make it clear to the driver and the artists that since you are indicating where and whom you want to see, that the driver agrees to NO commission for any sales made to you. That being cleared up you will be able to negotiate the best prices with the artist.

Hint: When you buy a painting directly from an artist, be sure to take a photo of him (or her) with your painting(s). This establishes an excellent item of provenance for your paintings.

Good hunting!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines