Ubon Ratchathani Travel Answers

change location

Info on Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

by CurryQueen Online Now Feb 10, 2009 at 4:59 AM

Hey all

We're planning on going to a friend's wedding in Thailand this
Summer and would appreciate any tips/comments!

My friend's family live in Jangwad Ubonratchathani and when I looked at the
world map, it seemed close to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I'm not sure whether the nearest airport would be Bangkok or another airport in Laos or Vietnam. Also if we fly to Bangkok, we would like to spend a couple of days there so are there good train links to Jangwad Ubonratchathani?

We live in London, England and so we wish to make it our holiday too and spend a few days travelling in Thailand either before or after the wedding, perhaps for 2 weeks or so.

Any help would be great! Many thanks! :-)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Info on Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

by seagypsy Online Now Feb 10, 2009 at 9:25 PM

If you're asking which international airport to fly into from England to visit Ubon Ratchathani, then it's Bangkok's Suvarhabhumi International. From BKK, you could either fly via domestic budget airlines or take a VIP bus or the train to Ubon Ratchathani. Ubon Rathca is a pretty large town with lots of amenities and is close to the 'emerald triangle' where Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia meet (and not too far from central Vietnam).
    I just read that the Khmer ruins of Preah Vihear wihch the Thai call Khao Phravihan is soon to reopen following nearly a year's dispute between Cambodia and Thailand as to the border eventhough it was determined several decades ago that Preah Vihear belonged to Cambodia as part of their Khmer empire/heritage a milleneum ago. Anyways, Preah Vihear is best accessed from the Thai side and it's a great excursion from Ubon. You can take a bus to Khantharalat which is the nearest town to the border. It could be a daytrip from Ubon, returning in the evening without any problems transport wise.
    If you want to visit Laos, you're several hours away and there is even an 'international bus' that runs between Ubon Ratcha and the city of Pakse in Laos. Pakse is a large city but is a junction tranport point for destinations in southern Laos such as the 4,000 islands, Wat Phu in Chamapasak (another Khmer temple and UNESCO heritage site) or the Lao Bolaven Plateau which is 'coffe country'. Lots of great waterfalls to visit in this area during the rainy season. Anyways, have a great trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Info on Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

by frank_bkk Online Now Feb 10, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Definitely go up to Khong Jiam it's a nothe golden triangle where you look over Laos and Cambodia at the same time.

It's also called the two coloured river as it is at the confluence of the Mul and Maekhong rivers.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines