Tuscany Travel Answers

change location

Itinerary in Tuscany - please help!

by valtor Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My son plans to visit Tuscany at the beginning of May, with his wife and 5 months infant. They will stay in Florence , visit it and then will rent a car to travel to South (till Rome- at airport).

After leaving Florence, when they will rent a car, will be for first 3 nights with another family and they are interesting to rent for this part a villa in a nice village and to make day trips from there.

My questions are regarding the part after leaving Florence.

They consider visiting, in 8 days:

- San Gimignano

- Volterra

- Pisa

- Siena

- Arezzo

- Cortona

_ Montepulciano

- Orvieto

- Bagnorecio

They would like to stay in 2 (max. 3 ) places and make day trips.

I hope you can help with advices regarding where to stay, what from above list to visit from each place where we shall stay.

Do you recommend to delete some places in above list or to replace them by another?

Thank you in advance.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Re: Itinerary in Tuscany - please help!

by Maurizioago Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

S. Gimignano, Pisa, Siena could be visited as day trips from Florence. There are direct buses to go to these places, except for S. Gimignano which usually you have to stop at Poggibonsi.

I'd add Lucca to your son's itinerary. This is a beautiful old town and it is less touristy than Florence.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • manuna's Profile Photo

by manuna Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I agree that Luca should be added, and taking into account 5 month old kid I would cross out Pisa. I would add Bomarzo ( a very nice park that will be a pleasant walk) and it can be visited together with Orvieto on their way to Rome.
    As for the other towns, I think they should look at the map and decide on the place to stay. Because it is hard to advise anything, as I think when you have a 5 month-old with you you are dependable on his (or her) timetable:) We visited most of the places in your list staying at Marina di Bibbona (it's on the coast), so the distances were longer. But our children were older. It was easier.

• Re: Itinerary in Tuscany - please help!

by valtor Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thank you, Maurizio and Manuna.

It will be nice to visit some of these places, as Maurizio advised, by bus from Florence. Thanks for the idea of visiting Lucca.

Manuna, it seems a great idea the visit of this park, especially with a baby!

I'll tell my son about these ideas. Thank you a lot.

• TuscanyAdvisor's Profile Photo

by TuscanyAdvisor Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:59 AM

OK, to start with I have 2 young kids and I can remember exactly what it's like to travel with kids that age. Secondly, I live here in Tuscany, and know what it's like to travel around here. So forget travelling by public transport. You'll need a good-sized car with a big boot for the buggie and all the baby stuff - there is always a lot of baby stuff!

Forget moving accommodation. It's a nightmare when you have a baby! Find a nice apartment central to the area you'd like to visit, and stay there the whole time. Chianti is an excellent location because from there you can easily visit the whole of Tuscany. In my opinion, forget the places further afield this time (Orvieto, Bagnorecio...anything south of Montepulciano is too far to go with a young baby) as there will be more than enough stunning places to visit within an hour or so of where you are staying. With a baby there as always the need to slow down and relax, especially as the parents are already very tired, so shorter journeys are best. Find somewhere to stay that is baby friendly, so you don't have to bring cots, high-chairs, changing mats, buggies even.

Even if you not are travelling without a 5-month baby, in Tuscany, less is more. Less travelling, more relaxing, visits to the many small and beautiful hill-top towns in Chianti, and staying away from crowded touristy areas as much as possible which are always a nightmare with a baby in a buggie.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tuscany Travel Answer Locations