Turku Travel Answers

change location
Limeypop's Profile Photo

Midsummer's Day 2010

by Limeypop Online Now May 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM

My work in Turku will end on 24 June, but I will not leave until 26 June, 2010. I understand that Finns like to go to a cottage with their family at Midsummer, but will there be any festivities in or near Turku that I could attend as a tourist? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Turska's Profile Photo

Re: Midsummer's Day 2010

by Turska Online Now May 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM

There seems to be festival called Sieravuoren juhannus, with bus-trasfer from Turku, but I think it´s quite full of rock, Finnish rock mainly. I think people there are somewhere between 18-40 years old. But it´s here-sorry only in Finnish:
    http://www.sieravuori.fi/ohjelma/

Maybe you would like Naantali Juhannus? This is also only in Finnish, but I can tell something:
    naantali.fi/tapahtumat/muut_...

It starts at 18.00 o´clock (at friday) with flag-ceremony and there´s folk-musicans and folk-music-dancers.

at 21.00 there will be "juhannustanssit", where you can also dance,not just watch dancing ;) i belive they play typical Finnish waltz,tango,humppa ( there´s no English translation, I found this info:.A type of music from Finland, related to jazz and very fast foxtrot.) and similar.

at 23.00 they will have a bonfire.

It sound like typical old-fashioned Finnsih Juhannus. I checked from Finnish forums. Turku might be quite "dead" at juhannus. In good weather people go to Ruissalo to have a picnic.many people go to naantali, to Ahvenanmaa or most go to cottages-it´s most popular way to spend juhannus.
    If you decide to go to Naantali, remeber that buses and trains don´t go at night. I´m not sure in Turku, but In Tampere the last ones go around 14.00 o´clock at friday and next ones go at sunday. Might be cheapest choise to rent a small car? Or stay whole friday to sunday there at some hotel-if you still find free rooms.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Nordic_ice's Profile Photo

Re: Midsummer's Day 2010

by Nordic_ice Online Now Jul 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I agree with Turska, Sieravuoren juhannus is a fun event.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines