Turku Travel Answers

change location
RENE_CARDOEN's Profile Photo

Ferry Stockholm - Turku

by RENE_CARDOEN Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Hi,
I would like to take the ferry Stockholm - Turku with my camper van and visit Finland. Knowing that the trip takes some 11 hours, how do I keep the fridge and freezer working?
Viking Lines says there is no possibility to connect the camper on electricity nor gas?
Are there other possibilities to cross the Baltic sea or any tricks to keep the food cool?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • deptlads's Profile Photo

Re: Ferry Stockholm - Turku

by deptlads Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Hi!

Naturally, no ferry operator is going to allow you to connect a gas or electricity supply while your van is on the car deck. I would have thought that most fridges are well enough insulated to keep the food cool for 11 hours, especially with the aid of some freeze packs. And remember - they do have shops that sell food in Finland.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 5:36 AM

Yes.
    And while on the ferry, you cannot even go to your car until the arrival to the harbour the next morning, so my advice is not to keep any deep freeze items or ice-cream in the camper fridge. Other normal items will keep cool for a night.

• RENE_CARDOEN's Profile Photo

by RENE_CARDOEN Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM

I think I will do the trip in the opposite way. First Norway, the North Cape and return by Finland. At the end of the journey the freezer will be empty.

• RENE_CARDOEN's Profile Photo

by RENE_CARDOEN Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I think I will do the trip in the opposite way. First Norway, the North Cape and return by Finland. At the end of the journey the freezer will be empty.

• deptlads's Profile Photo

by deptlads Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 8:48 PM

What is it that is so important about the contents of your freezer? If you have medications etc. that need to be kept cold then I am sure that the ferry operator will be willing to help you. If it is special dietary foods that you need, don't worry, Finland is an advanced developed country - they have shops, supermarkets, health food stores etc. in most towns. I am sure that you will be able to get what you need.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines