Turku Travel Answers

change location
hivaoa1's Profile Photo

ferries from Turku

by hivaoa1 Online Now Dec 14, 2005 at 11:11 PM

hey guys, i will be in Turku most of my Xmas holidays but my friends there are working weekdays. I have already been several times on the ferry to Stockholm, both night and day. I was wondering, which are the other destinations of ferries from Turku where i could go on a 1-2 day trip?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • hivaoa1's Profile Photo

RE: RE: ferries from Turku

by hivaoa1 Online Now Dec 14, 2005 at 11:39 PM

thanks for the advice ^__^ The thing is, my friend is originally from Nokia and i will be arriving in Tampere.. i have been to Finland many many many times. Usually at this time we all would go to Vammala at her moekki (summer cottage) but she has to work. So, i was thinking of staying with her family in Nokia just a couple of days and then fly to Riga or something from Tampere. I have been to helsinki many times, not that i don't like it, but i was thinking of doing something different.. well, i guess i have to "replan" ihih
    by the way, is there any kind of ferries/train to go to st petersburg for like 1 day and getting some kind of visa there? I hold an italian passport and when i went to Moskow i had to have a visa prior to departure, but once I read on a magazine that if one stays in st petersburg on a ferry trip for less than 24 hours the visa is not mandatory..
    do u know if this is true? thanks a lot by the way

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: ferries from Turku

by erabler Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 1:14 AM

With a car and plenty of time it's possible to do island hopping and explore the small settlements in the archipelago between Turku and Åland using the local ferries.
    liikkujat.com/lautta/default...

by erabler Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 1:19 AM

Well, winter in the archipelago can be a very exotic experience.

by hivaoa1 Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM

thank you a lot guys, i've been there in summer and fall, i love travelling on vicking line ihihih

by erabler Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 4:28 AM

But I didn't think of Viking or Silja, but of the small local ferries crossing a strait between two islands and carrying maybe a dozen of cars.

by hivaoa1 Online Now Dec 15, 2005 at 4:35 AM

ah, sorry ;-) anyways, thank you to you all for your precious help

Heippä

• baronedivandastad's Profile Photo

RE: ferries from Turku

by baronedivandastad Online Now Dec 21, 2005 at 6:28 AM

Ciao Livornolady,

we'll be quite near incidentally (I'm spending Xmas some 1000 kms north of Turku).

Near Turku are a lot of fascinating places to see on daytrips. Turku itself is quite boring in the winter, and has nothing much except some ruins and a slightly overrated castle (it's much better in the summer with the Bank, the Pharmacy, the School and the River - locals will know what I mean).

Villages such as Rauma, Naantali, Ekenäs, Fiskars, Hanko all have something interesting to be seen. You can also tour the villages in so-called Vakka-Suomi (nothing to do with cows if you're wondering), most of them have very interesting churches and people (I assume you speak some Finnish?). Mynämäki (if I remember correctly) has the most impressive church I've seen in Finland.

Take a swim in Naantali spa, visit the castle ruins at Raseborg, go skiing on a cross-country track in the area of Somero, or if you're driving follow the King's Road to Helsinki. The area is the richest in history in the whole country.

Hyvää Joulumatkaa!
    mac

by hivaoa1 Online Now Dec 21, 2005 at 7:03 AM

ciao Barone, thanks a Lot
    the thing is, i have been to all these little villages already because i know these people in Finland since i was a kid... but maybe you gave me the right idea.. i really feel like going swimming in a spa ihihih
    I don't like Turku actually nor Helsinki too much, but my friend works in Turku.. so i need to find something to do on the days she is not off
    i might spend new year's eve in Vammala, close to Nokia, at their moekki :P

ciaooo non vedo l'ora di mangiarmi il pane nero con il burro e il cetriolo, il formaggino spalmabile con i funghi kantarelli (boniiiiiiiii), le vodkine e rovinarmi di saune hiih e spero di non rompere il ghiaccio del lago con il mio peso piuma ihihih

ciaooo salutami Santa Claus

by hivaoa1 Online Now Dec 22, 2005 at 1:54 AM

thank you so so much
    ;-) cannot wait to be thereeeee

FINLAND I AM COMING BACKKKKKKK

Your Answer