Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

Popular Turkmenistan Travel Answer Locations

• getting transit visa in Taskent

Turkmenistan Oct 12, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Does anybudy know or experienced the current situation of getting transit
      visa for Turkmenistan at the embassy in Taskent?
      How long does it take?
      Thanks

1 Answer Oct 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    • Turkmens going to Turkey

Turkmenistan Aug 3, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Is it true Turkmens going to Turkey need to show they have money to support themselves (say, $1,000) at the airport before they can leave their country?

1 Answer Aug 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    • About Currency

Turkmenistan Jun 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I am a banknote collector and i am planning to visit Turkmenistan .

Is there places like numismatic shops in Ashkabat where i can find some old and new currencies ?

Is it easy to exchange money on the city by banks ? I am looking for unused new manats especially ...

Any information could be helpfull for me ...

1 Answer Jun 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    • Getting from the Ashgabat Airpot into the City Center

Turkmenistan May 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Hello,

I will be arriving late into Ashgabat Airport. What are the transportation options?

How much should a Taxi cost?

Thanks!

1 Answer May 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    • Recommendations for Budget Hotel in Ashgabat?

Turkmenistan May 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I will be in Ashgabat next week and am looking for a budget hotel/hostels in the city center. Any recommendations?

1 Answer May 22, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    • border crossing

Turkmenistan May 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I plan to cross into Turkmenistan from Uzbekistan. I understand there is a long fence between these two countries. What is the best entry/exit point? I hope to enter Turkmenistan from Khiva in Uzbekistan.

Also, what is the situation with bringing 2000-3000 USD in cash to Turkmenistan? Will this raise eyebrows? There seems to be no other option for international banking as I will be entering Iran from Turkmenistan afterwards.

Any additional information about traveling in Turkmenistan would be appreciated, including tour guides, hotels, and interesting areas apart from Darwaze. Thanks.

5 Answers May 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    • Domestic flights in Turkmenistan

Turkmenistan Apr 28, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows how to book domestic flights in Turkmenistan from outside the country? Any help would be appreciated.

3 Answers Apr 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    • Hostels in Ashgabat

Turkmenistan Apr 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Hi, I'll be in Ashgabat next week with a couple of friends. We still haven't booked any hostels. Is this going to be a massive issue, or will it be all right to turn up somewhere cheap last minute. We really don't want to have to pay for the expensive hotels. Also, does anyone know of any good hostels or homestays which are likely to be available at such short notice? The ones we've called seemed to have changed their number from the one listed in our guidebook...

Thank you!

• Turkmenistan Train from Ashgabat to Türkmenabat

Turkmenistan Mar 17, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Hello,

I will be traveling to Ashgabat in May/June and would like to travel by train to Türkmenabat (near the Uzbek border).

Would I be able to obtain a train ticket the day before my travel date? Or do I have to get the ticket in advance? What would the price be for such a ticket?

Thanks!

1 Answer Mar 17, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    • Turkmenistan Transit Visa

Turkmenistan Mar 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I would like to take a plane from the US to Ashgabat, Turkmenistan and then travel by train to Uzbekistan.
      Would it be possible to obtain a transit visa for such a trip?

I have heard that some people say that it is possible, while others have said that transit visas are only available to those traveling overland into Turkmenistan (i.e., are not available to those flying into Turkmenistan).

Does any one have information on this?

1 Answer Mar 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    • LOI for transit visas?

Turkmenistan Mar 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I wondered if anyone could tell me whether a LOI is required for transit visas to Turkmenistan. All the information I can find is contradictory, and the embassy isn't being great with replying to emails. If I do need one, do you have any recommendations on the best/quickest way to get one?

Thank you in advance!

6 Answers Mar 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    • kcannon1's Profile Photo

Turkmenistan in October

Turkmenistan Feb 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I've been told Turkmenistan does not permit any foreign visitors during the month of October. I've also heard that, if you request a tourist visa months in advance, it will be granted and you will be allowed entry. Does anyone have any direct experience or knowledge they can share to help clarify the situation?

Thanks.

2 Answers Feb 13, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    • genieterke's Profile Photo

Turkmenistan Airways

Turkmenistan Feb 3, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Helo,
      Has someone expieriance with Turkmenistan Airways
      London or Frankfurt to Ashgabat.
      because it's the onely direct line between europe and Turkmenistan
      the same question for London or Frankfurt to tashkent

planning to go in oktober
      Thanks for the advice
      Greets
      John Celis

2 Answers Feb 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

Turkmenistan visas

Ashgabat Jan 21, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Hi all,

I am attempting to find a destination for a weekend away at some point (May-August) and the flights are perfect for Ashgabat, however I'm really confused about how I would obtain a visa.

Do I really need a travel agent to do it for me? I only want to go for 2 days so would a transit visa be feasible? The internet is coming up with visa agency options but I've never used them before. Is that risky? There is a Turkmenistan embassy in the UAE so I could do it myself if necessary.

Any ideas?

PS. Is it worth visiting on my own for a few days? I have no more annual leave so a weekend is my only option.

Thanks!

7 Answers Jan 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM
    • SallyM's Profile Photo

Money matters

Turkmenistan Dec 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM

We have taken the plunge and are going to Turkmenistan next week. I'm trying to work out how much money we need to bring.

We are doing a private tour so some meals and sightseeing are included, but what could we expect to pay for a hot drink/lunch/evening meal? We will be staying in Ashgabat and Mary. We don't drink and are not great fans of souvenir shopping.

Thanks for any input.

4 Answers Dec 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    • adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Renting a flat in Ashgabat for 1, maybe 2 years

Ashgabat Sep 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Hello all

My sister is moving to Ashgabat in October for work. Obviously she has done a lot of research but if someone has tips about where to rent a flat (and where to completely avoid) that woul dbe great.

She'll be working near the French embassy and will have a limited budget. It seems rents are quite high in town, is it true?

Thanks in advance!
      A

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Is this a good idea?

Turkmenistan Jul 14, 2012 at 1:53 AM

We have ve been interested in visiting Turkmenistan for a while (we have have visited several other central Asian countries previously).

We have some free time at Christmas (my office shuts down for the duration and we don't have any particular family commitments), so were wondering about going to Turkmenistan then. We have checked that we can get flights and hotel and I understand that the temperature is likely to be pretty much the same as it would be at home in the UK.

Are there any snags or downsides to visiting Turkmenistan at this time of year?

1 Answer Jul 14, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    • josepbosch's Profile Photo

Iran to Turkmenistan

Turkmenistan Sep 20, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hello everybody:
      Does anybody know about traveling by road from Gorgan (Iran) to Askhabad (Turkmenistan)?. If so, can you provide any practical details?. Is there any public transportation or ways to hire a private car with driver?. Difficulties or problems that you might know of?.
      Thanks

• BruderFelipe's Profile Photo

Train to Moscow

Ashgabat May 25, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Hey Everyone,

does anyone have experiences with taking the train from Ashgabat to Moscow? As I understand it takes three days, I'd be really grateful for more information i.e. does it happen that it suddenly takes 5 days, etc. Anyone remember a reliable source for prices and schedules?

Thanks for the help
      Philip

• santa.u's Profile Photo

moving to ashgabat

Ashgabat Apr 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Hello!Im moving to Ashgabad in 2 weeks (planning to stay there for 2 years), right now Im packing my luggage and Im wondering what to take with me. What are shopping possibilities in Ashgabad (clothes, prices, labels)? Weather (spring, summer, autumn, winter)? Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance!

4 Answers May 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    • CHOCOLATECALIENTE's Profile Photo

transit visa

Turkmenistan Jan 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I am planning on visiting Uzbekistan and want to visit Konye-Urgench, Turkmenistan for a few days from Uzbekistan, but I want to do it independently without a tour guide. It seems that the only visa that allows you to travel without accompaniment by a guide in Turkmenistan is the transit visa. However, I believe you have to indicate your entry and exit point upon applying for the visa. So if I indicate Khojeli as my entry & exit point, it looks obvious that my purpose is sightseeing instead of transit... In this case, the visa is little likely to be granted, I guess? Any idea? Does anyone have any experience visiting Konye-Urgench or any part of Turkmenistan with the transit visa from Uzbekistan?

Has anyone applied for visas to Turkmenistan at the Embassy of Turkmenistan in Washington, D.C? Do I have to go there in person to apply for the visa??

I would appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks!

3 Answers Jan 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    • crossing Turkmenistan by private car

Turkmenistan Oct 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

What documentation is necessary to come into Turkmenistan across the Caspian Sea with a private car and driving on across the country to Uzbekistan? Is there a Turkmen travel agency that could assist with the documentation and travel arrangements in the country?

Tanks for an answer

Wilhelm Klein

3 Answers Oct 19, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    • visit visa

Ashgabat Aug 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I am a Canadian born Citizen and my wife currently lives in Ashgabot with our daughter.
      We were married 3 years ago in Moscow.
      I am still waiting for her and our daughters residency visa for Canada.
      Should be ready any week now.
      Do I require a visit visa to go to Ashgabot.
      I would like to travel there to visit her and meet her family.
      Jim

1 Answer Aug 17, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    • stinny's Profile Photo

Getting a Visa for Turkmenistan in either Baku, or Tehran?

Turkmenistan Jul 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Hi, my friend and I are a couple of young Canadians looking to travel across Asia overland. We were wondering if it's possible to get a Visa for Turkmenistan in either Baku (Azerbaijan) or Tehran (Iran)? If so, how long would this process usually take?

• AlperIst's Profile Photo

Travel and accommodation costs in Turkmenistan

Turkmenistan Apr 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Hello,

I will travel one month this summer as I do it to 2-4 different countries every year. Turkmenistan is inside my plans. Is it uncomfortably hot in July and August there?

Could you please write me some sample costs in Turkmenistan in USD please? Mostly in Ashgabad and other towns like Turkmenbasi, Bayramali in general.

A cheap meal in a cafe
      A good meal in a restaurant but not luxury one
      A local beer in a bar
      A local spirit in a bar or club
      A cheap but clean single room in a guesthouse or pension or hotel
      A small, central apt to rent
      Enterance to a museum
      A botle of water in market
      A bus or train drive for 5-6 hours

Thanks a lot :)

Alper

• Hexxi's Profile Photo

Central Asian trip in summer 2009

Turkmenistan Dec 14, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Hi friends, I am planning to make a big trip through Central Asia next summer and would like to cover all 5 ex SU countries. Did anyone make a trip like this? I plan to travel by myself on budget. Maybe a stupid question but how much money should I plan for spending in 6 weeks? I have to make it a cheap trip. What are the best means of travelling? bus? Where should I start and where should I end? I am very grateful for all kinds of advices! Thanks a lot, Silvia

• tripmantip's Profile Photo

visa support to Turkmenistan

Ashgabat May 25, 2008 at 1:03 AM

hello fellow members .. anyone knows how to get a visa support to Turkmenistan?
      any recommendations?

1 Answer Oct 4, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    • Information

Ashgabat Apr 26, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I would appreciate input about traveling to Ashgabat.
      1-Is it possible to rent an apartment and if yes how to go about it ?
      2- Any recomends for budget hotels in Ashgabat.
      3- For how long can one get a visa being a US citizen.
      4- Any reliable local contacts as I have read on the blogs that it is very helpful to have a local contact ( friend/s ) .
      5- Do's and Dont's .
      Would greatly value the advise.
      Sy

• Information

Ashgabat Apr 26, 2008 at 12:31 PM

I would appreciate input about traveling to Ashgabat.
      1-Is it possible to rent an apartment and if yes how to go about it ?
      2- Any recoomends for budget hotels in Ashgabat.
      3- For how long can one get a visa being a US citizen.
      4- Any reliable local contacts as I have read on the blogs that it is very helpful to have a local contact ( friend 0.
      5- Do's and Dont's .
      Would appreciate the advise.
      Sy

• Need your advise please.

Turkmenistan Dec 18, 2007 at 11:30 AM

I plan on travelling to Ashgabat - Turkmenistan this coming summer 08. Could any one please guide me on :
      1-HOW and from Whom (reputable agency )to get an invite for at least a month or more visa ?
      2- Name of Budget hotel or can one rent an Apartmnet to stay and where to find info on such ?
      3-Places and people to avoid.
      4-budget eating places
      5- other useful tips such as medical care, police traps, custom and Immigartion dealings , Night life and Hookers .
      I would appreciate input and guidance from all you wonderful fellow travelers.
      Thank you

3 Answers Jul 1, 2008 at 8:17 PM