Turkmenistan Travel Answers

change location

LOI for transit visas?

by Heathel Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I wondered if anyone could tell me whether a LOI is required for transit visas to Turkmenistan. All the information I can find is contradictory, and the embassy isn't being great with replying to emails. If I do need one, do you have any recommendations on the best/quickest way to get one?

Thank you in advance!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: LOI for transit visas?

by davidjo Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM

In this case what does LOI stand for? Letter of intent, ?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM

LOI means letter of invitation.

For a TRANSIT visa, the answer is no. However, visa you must have visas for both the country of entry and the country of exit. For example, if you're coming from Uzbekistan and exiting to Iran, you must have both visas before you can apply for the transit visa. This means, you will not be issued a transit visa if you either fly into or out of Turkmenistan.

Transit visas are generally 5 days. And will typically state your exit and entry points.

If you're looking for a TOURIST visa, it's a whole other thing. Tourist visas are only issued through authorized travel companies. You must have a government appointed tour guide with you at all times when outside the Ashgabat area. All hotels and travel need to be pre-booked

• DennyP's Profile Photo

by DennyP Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I agree with all "Fluffy Bunny " has said ..see this site for info that may be of help for you travelling in this region..www.caravanistan.com ..cheers..

• Re: LOI for transit visas?

by Heathel Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Thank you to both of you. I am in the process of getting a visa for Uzbekistan and am flying into Ashgabat, so it sounds like I won't be able to get a transit visa with this? Is this correct?

• Re: LOI for transit visas?

by chadatcal Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Hello,

I have the same question as Heathel.

I am planning to fly into Ashgabat from the USA and would like to travel by train to the Uzbek border. Would it be possible to obtain a transit visa for such a trip?

I've hear different things.

Thanks.

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Sorry, flying in or out of Turkmenistan is not considered "transit". Therefore you'll need a tourist visa. They are MUCH more expensive and difficult.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Turkmenistan Travel Answer Locations