Turkey Travel Answers

change location

Trip to Turkey

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I am planning to visit Turkey with my wife and two children (aged 3 and 1) in April. I have made the following plan:

Day 1: Istanbul (Old city area)
Day 2: Istanbul (City Tour by Bus)
Day 3: Bosphorus tour and Princes island
Day 4: Antalya
Day 5: Antalya
Day 6: Cappadocia
Day 7: Cappadocia
Day 8: Cappadoccia
Day 9: Istanbul (Asian side)
Day 10: Istanbul (Old city)

Can anyone suggest any better options?

Thanks

Quote & Answer
21 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: Trip to Turkey

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Wondering how you are planning to get from e.g. Istanbul to Antalya and so on?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Trip to Turkey

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Well, I would prefer by air. Is there any problem in availability of flights? I have checked Turkish flights from Istanbul to Antalya. For Antalya to Cappadocia, will check other airlines.

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I just asked because Turkey is a pretty big country and if you were planning to do land travel between the points it would take up a fair chunk of your time. If you were planning land connections, then I would say that you itinerary is not very feasible. However, if you plan to fly, then you could gain some time.

by Warrina Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 3:53 AM

I will be arriving Istanbul (post cruise) in September and still sorting out our itinerary. I am checking out package tours (possibly separate ones in each city) and wonder if this would be helpful for you with two little ones. I have also found helpful info at fodors.com

Definately flying between cities is the only way with young children - also keeping in mind that each travel day can be a lost day for sightseeing unless you get away very early. Good luck and I will post further if I find any reasonable package tours.

by Warrina Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I will be arriving Istanbul (post cruise) in September and still sorting out our itinerary. I am checking out package tours (possibly separate ones in each city) and wonder if this would be helpful for you with two little ones. I have also found helpful info at fodors.com

Definately flying between cities is the only way with young children - also keeping in mind that each travel day can be a lost day for sightseeing unless you get away very early. Good luck and I will post further if I find any reasonable package tours.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:01 AM

I don't think you will be able to fit in the Bosphorus and Princes Islands in one day. I spent a day at each, and filled in each day.
    This is my Istanbul page if you wish to copy & paste.
    "ISTANBUL - HUNDREDS OF TOURISTS!" - Istanbul by balhannah

• ayferselci's Profile Photo

by ayferselci Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:08 AM

You can do Istanbul city tour in one day and in other two days you can have a more relaxing schedule. One day for half day Bosphorus cruise and one day of Princess Islands tour. It will be much better. I am not sure if you can fly from Antalya to Cappadocia. It will be difficult to travel with two little ones by bus. Maybe you should do Istanbul and Cappadocia for this time and leave Antalya for the next time when your kids will be older. And maybe you can add Ephesus to your trip since you can fly from Istanbul to Izmir and from Izmir to Kayseri (Cappadocia). Maybe you can stay there two days and see Sirince and taste the delicious home made wines of this famous little village or visit Pamukkale which famous for white calcium cliffs and hot springs and located in a reasonable distance.

by ayferselci Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:32 AM

I guess this looks much better for you. It is much easier since it is only 3 hours bus ride from Antalya to Pamukkale and same distance from Pamukkale to Ephesus.
    I hope you will have great time in Turkey.

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Thanks for useful info. I can revise the plan as:

Day 1: Istanbul (Old city area)
    Day 2: Istanbul (City Bus Tour)
    Day 3: Istanbul (Bosphorus tour)
    Day 4: Antalya (leave Istanbul early morning - By air)
    Day 5: Antalya
    Day 6: Antalya to Pummukle (By bus early morning) and then to Izmir or nearby place for night stay
    Day 7: Izmir to Cappadocia (By Air)
    Day 8: Cappadocia
    Day 9: Cappadocia to Istanbul (in evening - By air)
    Day 10: Istanbul

Any further suggestions are welocme.

by ayferselci Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 6:48 AM

There are direct flight with Pegasus airlines from Kayseri to Izmir. F. Y. I.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM

As your children are small, you need to minimize the travelling between cities. Although you can save time by flight, you still lose time for check-in, boarding, luggage collection and reaching city center from the airport. 10 days for Istanbul would be too much, but I would perhaps have Izmir instead of Antalya in my itinerary. Your other option would be Bursa or Edirne which are neighbouring cities to Istanbul and full of surprises.
    My Istanbul pages :
    "A neverending poem" - Istanbul Ili by muratkorman
    "My Beloved Istanbul" - Istanbul by muratkorman
    My Izmir page : "My second favorite city in Turkey" - Izmir by muratkorman
    My Ephesus page : "A tourist magnet in Turkey" - Ephesus by muratkorman
    My Bursa page : "Green Bursa" - Bursa by muratkorman
    My Edirne page : "Ex-capital of Ottoman Empire" - Edirne by muratkorman
    I hope these pages will be helpful to give you an idea.

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Thanks. I would opt out Antalya from plan and would include Bursa and add one more day for Izmir. I am wondering if there is any specific negatives of Antalya as no one is really suggesting it and I also could not find any reviews on Antalya.

by ayferselci Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Antalya is great but it is a big place. It is mostly for people like to stay on beach all day long for a week or so. Also there are some great historical places in Antalya and nice small villages and natural beauties worth to visit but Antalya is a place to stay for a week and explore slowly. One day or two days in Antalya is just not enough so it is better to opt it out and go back with your family for a week later on.

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM

I would second visiting Edirne or Bursa. However, with small children, these are long trips there and back......

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 5:08 AM

How much is travel time by car and by bus from Istanbul to Bursa? Any idea about cost?

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 5:14 AM

For Bursa, I recommend using the seabus services which will save incredible time. You will arrive in Mudanya with seabus and they provide connection services (shuttle) to Bursa which takes about half an hour. If you check Bursa forum, there was a discussion about this previously. At the moment you have IDO or BUDO as options. There is one seabus in the morning and one in the evening so you can have a couple of days in Bursa and come back with just one night in hotel.

by ayferselci Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Maybe you should book a scheduled day tours for Bursa and Edirne. It will be much easier with kids. You don't have to run around trying to find transportation.

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Great, I believe this will work. So I can now make the plan as Istanbul + Cappadocia + Istanbul (including a day or two to Bursa). Will opt out Izmir as I have been there last year and visting Euphsus will not suit for travel with children.

Now coming to accomodation part, can anyone suggest good hotels in old city are in Istanbul. I read god reviews about DoubleTree. Although its a bit expensive but so far I have not found any other hotel's review without negatives.

by muratkorman Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 5:50 AM

You can have a one day trip for Edirne and it can work out quite well, but I still believe the best way to go Bursa and come back to Istanbul is seabus. And Bursa deserves a couple of days while Edirne is good enough for a full day. There are zillions of hotels in Istanbul and regarding location Sultanahmet would be your best bet. Try some boutique hotels rather than Doubletree.

by Tourist80 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Can you suggest some good boutique hotels in that area?

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Try looking at booking.com as a start. Sorry, I cannot suggest any particular hotel but there are loads and loads and you know what you want with what facilities. Perhaps you could also look at the hotels listed in the Istanbul travel pages of VT. This will give you an idea. Or you could google "boutique hotels istanbul".

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Turkey Travel Answer Locations