Turkey Travel Answers

change location
BobC163's Profile Photo

travel tips

by BobC163 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

my wife and I are going to start a tour travelling Istanbul to Beijing in May
Whilst in Turkey we would like to vist ephasus,Gallipoli etc
We have found a tour that starts in Ephasus and ends in Istanbul but we are wondering about travel to Ephasus and what is the "going rates" for this part of a travel
Does anyone have a reccomedation for tour companies
we prefer small groups and wish to see the unusual rather than the "touristy" things

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

Re: travel tips

by muratkorman Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Hi there, your teip from Istanbul to Beijing sounds great. I guess you will have unforgettable memories all along the way. I have always been a DIY type traveller, organizing my own itinerary, arranging my own transportation and stay. It is always easy to find guides on the entrances of locations such as Ephesus,moreover from guide books and virtualtourist you have access to so much useful information that you can do everything by your own. I don't know how much time you gave to Istanbul during your stay, but I would first take the bus from Istanbul to Gallipoli, spend a couple of days there to visit the martyrdom and then take another bus from Gallipoli to Izmir / Ephesus. This way you won't need to go back and forth between Istanbul. What tour companies would offer you from Istanbul would be a round trip and you would not have so much flexibility. However, there will be some fellow VT members to suggest you some tours too. You can check my Istanbul, Izmir and Ephesus pages for some useful tips. If you have more questions, I will gladly reply. Regards from Istanbul.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:48 AM

For the usual not touristy thing, you could visit Sirince village from Izmir/kusadasi/ephesus areas. It is a small village on a hill where they make wine and olive oil and related products,it is truly worth a visit.

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 6:17 AM

First, tourists go to Ephesus to see the ancient city of Ephesus, the house of virgin mary on top of the mountain, st. john basilica in the nearby town of selcuk, cave of 7 sleepers, and probably a 2-hour side trip to the cotton castle of Pamukkale. That being said, they're are touristy.

You can always and conveniently do those on your own, economically. Either take a flight to Izmir and bus it to Selcuk/Ephesus. Then bus it again to Canakkale to visit Gallipoli which again is touristy.

Try booking flights to Izmir early to get a better rates at budget airlines, like flypgs.com, onurair.com.tr, atlasjet.com, etc.

From Selcuk/Ephesus, you might want to stop in Bergama on the way to Canakkale, Bergama is the ancient city of Pergamum, not very touristy, at least during my visit in winter time. Here it is:

"Bergama it is!" - Bergama by June.b

For Selcuk/Ephesus:

"Ephesus" - Ephesus by June.b

Enjoy!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Turkey Travel Answer Locations