Turkey Travel Answers

change location
hmb10's Profile Photo

Car drive from Selcuk via Pamukkale to Fethiye

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM

HI! If selecting a rental car ,2small adults plus 2backpacks.What size rental car would be suitable? I'm thinking Toyota Yaris size would be adequate for this journey? Thinking good fuel consumption,but if route is very hilly? May need a more powerful engine? All advice appreciated.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • ayferselci's Profile Photo

Re: Car drive from Selcuk via Pamukkale to Fethiye

by ayferselci Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:32 AM

From Selcuk to Pamukkale no hills. So it will be quiet comfortable journey but from Pamukkale to Fethiye you will go through the mountains. But in Turkey the roads are great. You just have to be careful about other drivers. Ford Focus or Renault Clio are the most popular cars in car rental companies in Turkey. Just contact a car rental company and you will find out easily about your choises. Anyway don't worry about the roads.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:06 AM

A car with a 1.4 engine would be enough to travel around. Considering the fuel consumption, better to rent a diesel car so that you save some money on petrol cost. As earlier said Renault is very common in car rental companies. They may offer Hyundai options too.

• canata's Profile Photo

by canata Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Don't know why you'd wish to rent when taking the intercity buses is so practical and much safer and cheaper. The roads are good. I returned to Pamukkale last month and was terribly disappointed. Village lost its charm, super touristy, bus loads of foreigners in and out. Enjoy Fethiye. I don't know when you'll go but I was there off-season and it was good. Don't miss Kayakoy there are dolmuses from Fethiye every 20 min.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

by traveloturc Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 3:05 AM

If you really want to rent a car I will suggest you to choose a diesel engine car ..If you inisist on Toyota Yaris its ok for 2 people and 2 backpack ..your itinarary is about 400 km and the road conditions are OK ..
    The road to follow is
    Selçuk-Ortaklar-Aydın-Nazilli-Karataş-Sarayköy-Karşıyaka-Pamukkale-Denizli-Serinhisar-acıpayam-Söğüt-Bekçiler-Kemer-Fethiye...good luck

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

canata wrote:
    Don't know why you'd wish to rent when taking the intercity buses is so practical and much safer and cheaper.

Why would you consider the bus safer?

Self drive means you get to detour off the main route, stop at will and be on your own timetable. I drove, with my family, around Turkey in 2011 - it was excellent, totally safe and a LOT more comfortable than the bus! I totally understand why the OP would want to do it :-)

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

If you rent a car, there are some great archaeological sites that you can visit that aren't too far out of the way. About 40km before Pamukkale, you should visit Aphrodisias. Another good one about 30km from Selcuk is Priene. I also agree that Kayakoy (abandoned Greek town near Fethiye) is worth a visit. If you are going during the summer, you can also do a short drive from Fethiye over to Oludeniz, which has a nice beach.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Turkey Travel Answer Locations