Turkey Travel Answers

change location

Istanbul Visit with Kids under 10 years

by immymalik Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM

hi - i am planning to Travel to Turkey with my family in this coming June 2013. I will be going with 3 kids all under 10.
Can some body advice if there are places of interest for kids in Istanbul coz people say, kids could be bored there. i personally want to go there as it is the place i have been waiting to visit for so long, but on the other side, also dont want to disappoint kids.

thnx

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Re: Istanbul Visit with Kids under 10 years

by mickeyboy07 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Never been to Istanbul but with it been a large city i cant quite think what kids under ten would do there,lots of sightseeing for adults of course.Have you thought about mabyr taking them to a more family place like a resort for instance.We stayed in Olu Deniz two years ago an hour south of Dalam it was very family orientated with lots of activities for children like boat rides,horse riding,camel riding beach activities etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

There is the aquarium which may be fun for kids. Miniatürk is another attraction where they can walk around the main attractions of Turkey in miniatures. You can check my Istanbul pages for many useful tips.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Istanbul is a fantastic city and I think you will find plenty of things that your kids will enjoy. The trams are a fun way to get around. Some things I'd suggest doing:

Take a ferry trip on the Bosphorus
    Fish off the Galata Bridge
    Go to the top of the Galata Tower
    Basilica Cistern (underground waterway)
    RMK Museum - lots of planes, boats, cars, motorcycles, a submarine, etc. (they can climb in/on most of those things)
    Miniaturk
    Take a break in any number of parks
    Take the funicular up to Istiklal Caddesi and ride the old trolley car along Istiklal Caddesi
    Feed the pigeons in front of Yeni Cami (New Mosque)
    Check out the gems at the Treasury in Topkapi Palace
    Grand Bazaar
    Ride the top of the double-decker bus (hop on/hop off)

You don't mention their ages but the key is to make it fun. Some days it may be easier to keep a 3 year old happy than a 9 year old though. If you have a 8-9-10 year old start by getting them involved in the planning. Kids are usually happier if they have a part in making the plans. Research the things I've mentioned with them and see what they'd like to do. I would agree that going into 5 mosques in a day may be too much for the older kids but a 3 year might have fun in removing their shoes! So find the balance for your kids - you know them best. Try to plan at least 1 or 2 things for them each day - even if it's just going to a park for a while. A lot of museums I've been to specifically have activities for children - something like a list of things they may have to find. You can even make up your own. If they're busy looking for a particular statue or piece of art, they're less likely to be whining or complaining! :-)

I have further details about the things I've mentioned on my Istanbul page if you'd like to take a look -

"Bustling, Cosmopolitan Istanbul!" - Istanbul by Donna_in_India

Have a wonderful time!

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Whoa Donna! great answer. I would just add Topkapi palace to Donna's comprehensive list. My kids love history and so would love Topkapi.
    I think what kids would also love to do is much on the warm chestnuts that they sell all over!! There is plenty of good traditional food in Turkey!
    On the whole the city has some amazing sights and culture that no matter what age, you are bound to be fascinated!

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM

We wnt to Istanbul when our daughter was 7 years old. She enjoyed riding the funicular and the trolley. The Galata tower is fun to go to the top of for the views. The archaeological museum had a kids section. Next to the Islamic Arts Museum is a museum that shows what Turkish homes looked like in various stages of the country's history. Next to the Topkapi Palace is a big park for them to run around in. Also, take them on a horse and carriage ride around Sultanahmet.

• Re: Istanbul Visit with Kids under 10 years

by immymalik Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

thnx a bundle everyone specially donna for a comprehensive answer with advices. As you asked about the ages, they will be 9, 7 & 4 yrs respectively when they travel in June. All girls & all are May borned. A pleasant coincidence for us.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Agree with Donna of India reply, kids will love everything as long as you do not overdo it. The Galata bridge walk is fantastic, also Bosphorus ferry, grand bazaar etc etc. Photos on my pages may help you, or borrow Frommers Day by Day Istanbul Guide book from your local library., read it and make up your mind.

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Turkey Travel Answer Locations