Turkey Travel Answers

change location

Restaurant prices

by grumpyoldlady Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

How much should I budget for a snack sandwich/salad for lunch and a reasonable evening meal - not gourmet or fast food - just a reasonable meal to fill a hole we're on the tourist trail so won't have much choice - what are the rough prices of a coke/lemonade please??

Which way of paying is recommended i.e. local Lira, US$, GB£ - are pre-loaded currency cards accepted or straight visa card - would prefer not to use the latter as I don't want to pay commission Is it different in restaurants to the bazaars - we're visiting Konya, Kusasadi, Atatuark, Bursa, Istanbul etc. All help greatfully appreciated. Many thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Restaurant prices

by leics Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Can't advise you on exact amounts (I don't eat a vast amount and tend not to spend much on food) but would very strongly advise you to always use the legal currency of any country you are visiting. That's because you'll always get a worse rate if you pay in e.g. euro...the seller has to cover his/her own exchange charges. You'll find places, especially in Istanbul (and I suspect Kusadasi and anywhere which has many tourists) which are happy to accept euro but I'd suggest you always pay in lira.

I'd also suggest that you pay smaller bills with cash rather than use your card (assuming it is accepted for smaller bills) to avoid card charges. I think it makes more sense to e.g. withdraw a good chunk of lira and pay one ATM charge than to use your card umpteen times and pay charges on each transaction.

If your pre-loaded card has a Visa, Mastercard or other widely-recognised logo it functions in exactly the same way; if somewhere will accept e.g. Visa cards they will accept your pre-loaded card with that logo.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

As with anywhere in the world there is a profound difference between a trendy meal in a nice restaurant in the capital and fast food from a hole-in-the wall shop in a village. As such, it's impossible to answer. You can eat for $5 easily though

LIra is the legal currency of Turkey, as such, you should use Lira. It helps the national economy by using the local money.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• June.b's Profile Photo

by June.b Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I compiled that Q&A here:

Istanbul Favorite Tips by June.b

Enjoy!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

by traveloturc Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Cards are acceptable everywhere as long as you add at least % 10 tip in cash TL, for every meal...good luck

• fouads's Profile Photo

by fouads Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Hello .
    You will find many restaurants prepare meals for 4-7$ per person .
    Best Wishes

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Turkey Travel Answer Locations