Tunisia Travel Answers

change location

cost of living

by lardyhead Online Now Apr 26, 2007 at 2:14 PM

we are thinking of going tunisia and wondered if anyone can tell us the cost of an average meal and the price of beer and wine, we have been to egypt and found a/i good value as the alcohol is quite expensive there. they also charge tax and service charge on top of the bill-is this the same in tunisia.any ideas on the weather in june or september also a help.
thanks very much
sue

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: cost of living

by hawkhead Online Now Apr 26, 2007 at 2:58 PM

We were in Tunisia in February and looking my notes, the cost of lunch ranged from 6-17 dinars and for dinner 15-20 dinars for two people. However, we were off the tourist route most of the time. It all depends what and where you eat! Certainly you can have a good meal for two for around 10 dinars including beer.
    As to the cost of beer, we bought 6 beer for 1.50 dinar in the local supermarket, and a bottle of wine was 6.50 dinar, although I see that on one occasion we bought both beer and wine for 6.10 dinars. The local beer Celtia is excellent - quite the best of the beers that we've sampled outside of the UK, and for that matter, it ranks near the top of all time. Tax and service were not charged on top of the bill where we ate. They do not expect tips and most times we just rounded it up. For a special service, we then added a little. Mind you, please bear in mind that we were off the tourist route and I imagine that in the tourist areas such as Sousse, Monastir,etc. it will be both more expensive and expectations from the waiters will be higher. In general, it is very inexpensive to have a good time. You will find the Tunisians are extremely friendly and hospitable.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: cost of living

by lardyhead Online Now Apr 26, 2007 at 4:01 PM

thankyou hawkhead for your quick reply. as a matter of interest where did you go and was it a package tour or diy.where did you fly from and how long did you stay.if you arranged it yourself how did you do it? a lot of questions but i would find it very interesting to see how you did it.i'm afraid we've never done anything other than package holidays(very safe!)
    thanks

by globetrotter_mtl Online Now Apr 26, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Hi,

As said in the previous reply, it depends where you eat and drink.
    In general, local beer costs between 1.50 - 6 dinars
    local wine 6 - 20 dinars. Meals also from 3 - 80 dinars.
    alcohol is in general very expensive in touristic areas and hotels.
    Imported alcohol is very very expensive even in super markets.
    there is not many local alcohol choices. maybe only 2-3 sorts of beer and
    also 3 or 4 sorts of wine.

If you enjoy drinking, before entering the country, you can buy in free shops
    or on the plane some bottles of alcohol or good wines.

There are no tax and service charges on top of the bill. It's up to you to give tips or not. tips are between 1 to 1.5 dinars maximum. 1 dinar is the common tip.

All the time ask the prices before eating, buying something or taking a taxi to avoid suprises regarding the bill.

June is hot, september less hot.

Enjoy your trip!

by lardyhead Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 1:31 AM

thanks globetrotter,thats really useful.that seems a small amount to tip.am i right in thinking there are about 2 dinar to the pound? is it not expected to leave a 10% tip in a restaurant as in england or is any tip appreciated?
    thanks for your help

by hawkhead Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Hope you received my email.

by globetrotter_mtl Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM

Hi,

You should know that the cost of living in tunisia is very low comparing to Europe/Great Britan. 1 to 2 dollars tips is very good but nothing comparing to the pound. With 1 to 2 dollars, you can eat a sandwitch or buy even 4 bottles of water, etc... so, for tunisian this is good money. Average day salary is from 8-15 dinars (8 working hours).

In Tunisia, there is no rule or a law that you have to pay 10% tip on top of the bill. It's up to you to give tips or not. Personnally I give tips only if I receive a good service. Sure who does not appreciate recieving tips...lol.

Hope this helps!

by lardyhead Online Now Apr 27, 2007 at 12:28 PM

hi hawkhead
    no, i haven't received an e-mail from you
    sue

by hawkhead Online Now Apr 28, 2007 at 12:45 AM

Grrr! I have resent it but have also pasted it below.

Hello there!
    I don't know which is your country of residence but I am assuming you are in the
    UK. We flew from Glasgow to Monastir with MyTravel (okay for a shortish flight
    but I wouldn't want to travel long-haul with them! Don't bother paying extra for
    the meal but bring your own munchies. £10 for a tray of shrivelled up
    unrecognisable "food" is not a bargain. We brought our own sandwiches and bought
    water in the departure lounge). For flights out of the UK
    www.flights-undiscovered.co.uk is a good site. We arranged it all
    independently. We had rented an apartment in Athens for six weeks and as we
    rented directly from the owner, we had quite a bit of contact with him - it was
    also his own home, as he works in both Athens and Brussels. Anyhow, he told me
    that he also has apartments to rent in Tunisia so we investigated that and
    rented for three weeks. The apartments are located in Mahdia, which is down the
    coast from Monastir. It is an unspoilt ex-fishing village, located on a
    penninsula so there is no room for modern expansion. The Zone Touristique is
    located about 5 miles out of town. Our apartment was located in the new
    Tunisian section of Mahdia, about 10 minutes walk from the centre of the
    village. Mahdia is off the tourst route, although I am told it is very popular
    with Italians in the spring, summer and autumn. We were there over the winter,
    so it was very quiet and we were able to see a lot of real Tunisian life. We
    also speak French which is a huge advantage but is not necessarily a deterrent.
    We figured that even if Mahdia were to be chock-a-block during the days, then by
    five o'clock all the tourists would have returned to the Zone Touristique.
    Mahdia is a rather sleepy fishing village. There is an absolutely fabulous
    beach between the village and the Zone Tourisque. There is a train station with
    excellent service to Monastir, Sousse and to Tunis. Our landlord had arranged
    for a taxi to meet us at the airport and we transferred for a very reasonable
    price. If you arrive at Monastir airport before 7pm, then the train station is
    right there and you can connect to Monastir, Sousse, Mahdia and so on. There is
    a louage station (like the dolmus or shared taxi in Turkey) which connections to
    all over. We went to the absolutely fabulous colisseum at El Djem for 4.50
    dinars return for the both of us. The louage was clean, safe and reliable. I
    would recommend that if you go to Tunisia you try and do it independently. It is
    a very easy and friendly country. I don't know what you like but we found Sousse
    to be very touristy but Monastir is slightly less so BUT that was out of the
    real tourist season. Try and find an hotel that does not cater solely for
    tourists and that does not do the infamous "all inclusive". We did an
    investigative tour of some of the hotels on Mahdia's Zone Touristique and while
    they are okay, the prices are high and you might as well be in any country
    anywhere. Hope this helps a bit. Please feel free to ask me any other questions
    and or advice or opinion.

by lardyhead Online Now Apr 30, 2007 at 12:15 PM

thanks for the info hawkhead we would never have thought of going to tunisia that way.i would prefer not to be somewhere really touristy and dont want a/i.i think if your out of the tourist areas you will find the cost of living better.we found this in goa.i agree with you on the airline meal and deduct them when i can.we have taken a nice fresh baguette and snacks of our own on quite a few occasions!i hadn't thought of self catering in tunisia and was thinking of b&b but we might look at the apartment availability now,
    thanks again
    sue

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tunisia Travel Answer Locations