Tumbes Travel Answers

change location
Unique82's Profile Photo

bus to quito

by Unique82 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hi guys, Does anyone know if there is a bus from Tumbes to Quito?. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Re: bus to quito

by MalenaN Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I have not crossed the border myself but I have read that there are buses from Tumbes to Guayaquil. From Huaquillas across the border from Tumbes there are several buses daily and that journey takes 11-13h.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

If you want to go to Tumbes, Peru; chances are that you will have to purchase a fare from Quito to Huaquillas, which is on the Ecuador/Peru border. T From Huaquillas to Tumbes I would estimate to be another 3-4 hours. I have never been to Huaquillas or Tumbes, but in Quito there is a patchwork of buses and bus cooperatives that hit nearly all of the areas in Ecuador. The bus ride from Quito to Huaquillas would be anywhere from 8 to 14 hours. hen take a regional bus from there to Tumbes. You most likely would have to spend a night there before getting a bus to Tumbes. Since it has been three years since I have been there I would not have a specific company to recommend. The regional buses in Ecuador in many cases are somewhat of a nightmare; very overcrowded, stop everywhere and seldom stay on schedule. Also on most of even the long ones there are no bathrooms on board. Not trying to scare you just being honest.

I do know that there is air service between Quito and Tumbes. I looked at kayak.com and some of the flights are as short as two hours. The main problem is the price. I

• the_dutchman's Profile Photo

by the_dutchman Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM

There is an international bus company in S.A. that travels from Venezuela to Santiago Chile and from there to Rio de Janeiro. It hits all the places along the way including Quito and Tumbes. The bus company is called ORMENO S.A. I have used this bus on a number of occasions, having traveled the entire continent by bus (including other companies) nine times over. Prices are all reasonable but at the end of it, you either pay the price or don't go. Try the following website. www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe     Enjoy,

Gerry,   The Dutchman

• alza's Profile Photo

by alza Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Hello Jacq, Good advice given already.

I travelled by bus from Quito to Santiago, Chili on one ticket purchased at an agency in Quito, in 2005, CAD125. The agency provided service by their representative along the route, that is, they had an agent waiting for me at every stop/transfer point, to take me to the next connecting station.

I imagine the same service is provided going the other way, i.e., Santiago to Quito. Which would include Tumbes to Quito, if you choose that route (perhaps it's the only or most direct route?)
    Huaquillas rings a bell, that's where I first got off the bus from Quito. If I remember correctly, I waited alone there over an hour, walking around desolate terrain, asking for directions for Tumbes. The agency rep finally showed up & we walked across Huaquillas a bit, in a maze of pineapple vendors. The rep had me jump in a mule-drawn cart that took us to Tumbes. 15 miles or so. Half an hour maybe? I did wonder whether I as not being kidnapped... I was travelling with my house on my back for a year, heading for Ushuaia, Argentina, so couldn't just run off on the spur of the moment.

In Tumbes, I was way ahead of time for bus for Lima so rep and I went for coffee. He suddenly wanted to marry me or something so I got on a moped taxi and went to the Tumbes Bus Station by myself. (It helps to speak Spanish...) There I had a few hours wait for connecting bus to Lima and thought I'd check out Tumbes a bit more. But I was warned by all officials NOT to leave Tumbes Bus Station, area was said to be crime-ridden. I stayed at the station and had a nice talk with a Peruvian woman who told me that her husband never let her go anywhere, she was trying to run away... We sort of bonded...

I finally made it into Lima but missed my connection to Santiago that day, I'd become ill from the chicken meal served on the bus and had to recover overnight in Lima (lots of "coke" tea, whatever that was. Next day, the bus rep picked me up and took me to Lima bus station to continue my journey to Santiago. That was also fraught with drama but it's another story...
    Not to scare you either, but that was my experience. I have a pic of Huaquillas pineapple crossing somewhere on my South American pages but can't remember where exactly. Actually, I remember that trip fondly now.
    I may have been on Ormeno S.A., the company mentioned by the_dutchman above but can't remember.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tumbes