Tucson Travel Answers

change location

Tucson Nightlife

by KatyM Online Now Feb 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I'm coming over for a visit in two weeks (from the UK). I'm staying with a great friend and we want to have a really nice night out. We are not teenagers and we don't want to "pick up guys". We would like a quiet place where we can chat, with decent wine and maybe with some scenery or something else interesting about it, for a night out. Music is okay, as long as it isn't intrusive. My friend smokes and I don't. Security is important to us both, so we need a place where we feel safe.

Any suggestions?

Also, what is the situation with taxis (cabs) in Tucson? Are there regulated companies we can trust? My friend is dubious for some reason.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • yvr's Profile Photo

Re: Tucson Nightlife

by yvr Online Now Feb 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Be sure that the driver turns on the meter when you begin your trip. Most cab companies are regulated. Once you decide on where you are going to go, you might check out the shortest route to it, this will ensure you have a more positive and pleasant experience.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Tucson Nightlife

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM

> Any suggestions?
    Blanco Tacos in La Encantada is a really nice place to drink wine and watch the evening go by. They have one of the best views in the city from their patio (where you can smoke) and are reasonably priced. They close at about 11 on the weekends, I believe.
    Downtown also has some nicer bars and clubs. The lobby of the Hotel Congress should be a stop for you. It's a generally older crowd than what's in the club and it's a really nice vibe. A little noisy though. If you wanted to smoke, you could sit on the patio or outside of the Cup Cafe.
    Then there's Cafe Milano and Enoteca on the west side of Downtown. Both are mostly restaurants, but they do stay open late on the weekends and have nice patios.
    But my favorite "club" Downtown is Centro Lounge, which sets up as a bar in an alley between buildings on the weekends. Really nice vibe and a great place to sit. The inside of the club is also really, really nice, but none of it's too pretentious: I always go in flip-flops and jeans. That's located on Congress right east of Stone.
    My gf was at a new club this past weekend, Saphire, which is a couple of doors down from Centro. They have a bar and patio on their roof with a great view of Downtown. This is more of a "club" club though, and there's a cover.

Hope that gets your started on nightlife. Feel free to post or PM me if you have any other questions about it. I think Tucson has a really great nightlife.

> Also, what is the situation with taxis (cabs) in Tucson? Are there regulated companies we can trust?
    There really aren't many "gypsy" taxis in Tucson. At least not that I'm aware of. If you're out Downtown or on 4th Avenue on a weekend, there are taxis everywhere. There will also be taxis at the more popular clubs like Level, Cactus Moon and NORTH, the latter of which is right by Blanco Tacos, closer to closing time (2am). If you go anywhere else though, there will likely not be taxis and you'll have to call one, although any and every bar has their phone numbers.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines