Tucson Travel Answers

change location

Gordon

by gordonjones Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Where's the best place for snow play ie saucers etc for kids age 11,9,7,5 on Mt Lemmon?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Gordon

by goodfish Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM

This might help (scroll all the way down to "Tucson Snow Play Areas"). I read that the mountain is VERY popular and a certain amount of gridlock from all its adoring fans is not uncommon. Must be one fun place! :)

arizona-vacation-planner.com...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Gordon

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Yep, the sheriff's office closed the road up this past weekend due to overcrowding and, as we're expecting more snow tomorrow, I have a feeling that this weekend will be almost as bad.
    Mount Lemmon's position as a sky island makes it so that there aren't many flat, meadow areas where sledding is safe. One of the best spots is in the middle of Summerhaven on the right side of the road. It's very, very popular though, so it gets really slick after a couple days of use and melting.
    I usually go to around Rose Canyon Lake. If you walk down the road a bit (it's closed off during snow, so you can just sled on that) you'll find a lot more "virgin" snow and a few hills and places to sled down. However, you're around more trees there, so it gets a little more dangerous.
    There are also a couple of spots around the Aspen Viewpoint and trailhead a few miles before Summerhaven. Those are also very popular though and relatively close to the highway so, again, it gets a little dangerous, especially with kids.

Not many places but that's one of the issues of having only one road up and a relatively limited amount of flat space on top of our mountain.
    Enjoy though.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines