Tucson Travel Answers

change location
Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Safe for a day-trip to Nogales Mexico?

by Tom_In_Madison Online Now Jan 9, 2009 at 6:06 AM

I'm probably making it to Tucson in March. I was thinking of going across the border to Nogales Mexico for a day. I've heard of all the violence in Mexico and wasn't sure if Nogales is one of the cities that's best left unvisited? I'd only be there during the day, and possible stopping in a pharmacist to pick up some inexepensive drugs for my mom if that's still allowed.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Safe for a day-trip to Nogales Mexico?

by MikePinTucson Online Now Jan 9, 2009 at 7:46 AM

You can only bring prescription drugs into the US if the prescription is in your name. Also there are other requirements. Here is a site that gives you that information.

phoenix.about.com/cs/health/...

There has been drug gang violence in Nogales, even during daylight hours. Although no tourists have been killed or injured, I suppose there is always a first time. Officials in Nogales say it is safe for tourists (what else would they say). I would not recommend that you go, but I wouldn't go so far as to urge you not to go. As long as it is during daylight hours, and as long as you stick only to the main tourist shopping areas, you should be OK.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Safe for a day-trip to Nogales Mexico?

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Jan 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM

As a resident of Mexico, but UNfamiliar with Nogales, I agree with the other reply. Even in the small town of Rosarito Beach, Baja California, in 2008 there were civilians (incldg children) caught in the cross-fire of a drug shoot out in a restaurant during the day..............total deaths in Mexico related to drugs in 2008 was over 5400. Compare that to the total US deaths in Iraq over SIX years.

Personally,if I was a day-tripper, from the US, I would make my vote to NOT go and therefore make these places feel the lack of our patronage while this carnage is going on.

• luv2laughlots's Profile Photo

by luv2laughlots Online Now Jan 11, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Tom,
    Tuscon is a great place, however Nogales, I can't say the same for. It reminds me of the typical "border town". You can buy buy prescription drugs there cheap and you don't have to go to a pharmacy, just about any store on a corner sells them and there is HUGE signs to assist you in locating them. However, I will warn you, I have heard that a lot of the pills they sell aren't of the best quality. You are getting a product cheap and it may also be a cheap product, if you know what I mean.

I would not recommend spending the night in Nogales. Going for a day trip is one thing, but staying overnight.........no way. I would not consider it a safe place.

Happy Traveling!

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

by Tom_In_Madison Online Now Jan 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM

yea, that's the way it's sounding from other things I've read. I guess there's really not much you can buy there that you can't get in Tucson.

• Re: Safe for a day-trip to Nogales Mexico?

by jan101505 Online Now Jan 18, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I have gone to Nogales a couple of times for cheap antibiotics - they worked fine. That's pretty much all I went there for and had no problems. If you don't have a reason to go, it is a depressing trip. It does however, give you a great appreciation for the USA. j.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines