Tucson Travel Answers

change location
marlasimone4's Profile Photo

Neighborhoods in Tucson

by marlasimone4 Online Now Sep 7, 2008 at 2:46 AM

Hi, I've been living (on and off) in Tucson for the past two years and I still can't find a reasonable area to rent a house/apartment in. I'm a full-time grad student and work part-time and currently live in an 1 bed-room apartment in the central NW. I want to be very close to the University and would prefer to upgrade to 2 bedroom house or guest house near the University and in a safe area, but everything seems outrageously priced. For those long term residents, I'd appreciate any advice. Ideally, I'd love a large guest house in the Sam Hughes area, but they seem impossible to find (oh, and I want to live alone). If you have recommendations for other areas that are safe and close to the U, I'd appreciate the insight. Also, if you know of anyone renting a reasonable guesthouse or house that sounds right please let me know or pass the word. Thanks!!

Marla

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Neighborhoods in Tucson

by bocmaxima Online Now Sep 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Every individual renting in Tucson wants a large guesthouse in Sam Hughes. They exist, but the likelihood of finding one is almost nil. I found one for rent once but it was going for, IIRC,750.
    You may want to look into Feldman's, which is on the northwest side of Speedway and Euclid. A lot of grad students live in this area, but don't go too far north or west as it gets sketchy. Blenman-Elm is also good, but typically overpriced and short on decent rentals. There's also a good area south of Speedway and east of Campbell with some rentals, but also a lot of undergrads around there.
    You may want to look at Samos (north of Grant, west of Campbell) and Hedrick Acres. The latter has a lot of cheap rentals, but gets really sketchy. However, there's a UA shuttle running up Mountain, not to mention the bike path, so it's a very popular area for UA students and staff.
    If you're already living northwest, then it's likely you don't mind the bus. If so, there are plenty of other options. I'm also looking for a new place now (I actually just got back from driving around looking for stuff), so feel free to PM me if you'd like.
    hth

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Neighborhoods in Tucson

by jkatcher Online Now Sep 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Darn, you sound like you'd be the perfect renter for my 2 bd. duplex near Euclid and Speedway (Feldman's neighborhood). Unfortunately, it's already rented (I ask650 for one person, a very good deal, and screen tenants thoroughly). Have you been checking craigslist? Another idea - contact the president of the neighborhood association for neighborhoods that you're interested, like Sam Hughes. They can post your request to the neighborhood listserv. If you sound responsible and have good references, it definitely helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines