Tucson Travel Answers

change location

Areas near the UofA?

by cambridgegirl Online Now Apr 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM

I am going to be in Tucson for a month conducting research at the University... unfortunatley I have to go alone because my husband will be tied up at work!

Having never been there, and having never travelled as a single female, I was wondering what you guys would recommend as the best areas to live that are within walking distance to campus?

I have a lead on one property that is just west of the university, between the campus and fourth avenue - would this be considered a safe area?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Areas near the UofA?

by bocmaxima Online Now Apr 7, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Anything directly west, north (east of Mountain Avenue) or east of campus is going to be relatively safe, the safest probably being the eastern area, known as Sam Hughes. Between Fourth Ave and campus you'll almost nearly always have company walking around on the streets though. Your only real concern would be the noise from nearby college kids. But in any of these areas, you always just need to use common sense. Like don't walk alone at midnight on a Tuesday and such.
    It's also important to note that the UA campus is pretty large, and it may be best to live on the side of campus that you'll be on. For instance, the medical stuff is generally on the extreme northeast side of campus (except for the BIO5 people), while the NOAA building is on the southwest side, and it's a good half hour walk between the two. There are shuttles, including a late night one ("Night Cat"), but it's still better to walk.
    Tucson's almost block-specific on neighborhood changes though, so feel free to message me if you have any questions about specific locations. I know most every street and complex in the university area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines