Trujillo Travel Answers

change location
RileyPowell's Profile Photo

Tren de la Sierra

by RileyPowell Online Now Sep 29, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Has anyone ridden this train from Lima to Huancayo? It is called the world's highest railway line and the article stated that there is bottled oxygen available on board for low landers like myself so that we won't suffer altitude sickness. The highest point is at 4,829 meters above sea level. I plan to visit an internet sweetheart in Trujillo in December and am tempted to take this ride. The ride sounds scarier than the most advanced roller coaster.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • melosh's Profile Photo

RE: Tren de la Sierra

by melosh Online Now Oct 1, 2005 at 9:06 PM

The problem is that the train may go only once a month or so. Hopefully someone will be able to give you the latest word. The train from Huancayo to Huancavalinca was a daily, at least a couple of years ago. The number of trains from Cusco to Puno had already decreased alot by 2003 because of the paving of the road. I was told that the train from Juliaca to Arequipa had also stopped due to the road paving. I really enjoyed Trujillo, but this is really in a different direction than Huancayo. You might find travel into the Cordillera Blanca by bus even more exciting than a train trip. Good luck bob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • colares's Profile Photo

by colares Online Now Oct 14, 2005 at 5:05 AM

The ride is not scary. We did it last August. The problem is the schedule. The train does not run regularly. Please check these two sides:
    ferroviasperu.com.pe/indexe....
    kellstransportmuseum.com/Per...

Huancayo - Huancavelica is an alternative. It has up to three trains a day.
    http://www.fhh.com.pe/webfhh.htm

Have fun.

• RileyPowell's Profile Photo

by RileyPowell Online Now Oct 18, 2005 at 8:07 PM

Thanks to you all for your information. I went to Peru on Oct. 2 and returned to the USA on Oct. 16. I did not ride this train but I did ride the ITTSA bus from Lima to Trujillo. The bus amazed me. It had huge seats which recline and a stewardees who served meals and refreshments and snacks. From Trujillo, I rode the bus to Piura and spent a few days. Then I rode a bus to Tampo Grande and visited a farm where they raise coconuts, mangos, papayas, yuca, plantains, and melons. I rode in the moto-taxis, taxis, and saw burro carts. I fell in love with the people of Peru. I do not speak Spanish but never before have I been treated with such courtesy, understanding and hospitality as I was by the peoples of Peru. I can not find words to express my deepest grattitude. I shall return.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines