Trujillo Travel Answers

change location

Can I come to Peru and not go up?

by kallyho Online Now Feb 6, 2004 at 9:00 PM

We have won the airfare to Peru and I'm not much for mountains and such. Is it nice to go northwards from Lima? What would be a good tour? Thanks Kally

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • rjwslats's Profile Photo

Re: Can I come to Peru and not go up?

by rjwslats Online Now Feb 7, 2004 at 8:42 AM

You may consider going south as well. You can go to Pisco, the Islas Ballestas, Ica and Nazca. These places are all at sea level. Then to the north you can go to Trujillo (Huacas del sol y de la luna, Chan Chan) and Huanchaco (12 km from Trujillo at the coast, great surf beach), Chiclayo (museum of the Lord of Sipan) and Tumbes (mangroves). The north of Peru is not very touristic. Remember that in march it is still hot in Peru, especially in the coastal desert region. Regards, René

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • besbel's Profile Photo

Re: Can I come to Peru and not go up?

by besbel Online Now Feb 7, 2004 at 2:05 PM

I completely agree with Rene's suggestions. We don't know, though, more about your preferences (beaches? historical remains? wildlife?). The weather would be suitable for visiting Ica, Paracas, Nasca (south) or Huanchaco and the other places that Rene mentioned. If you are fond of wildlife or jungle places, or canoing in rivers, probably some days in Iquitos, Tambopata or Manu could be also enjoyable. The tours are very cheap if you contract them in Lima or even in the place. However, since the weather in the jungle is really rainy, probably you would prefer to stay a few days in there only. It's up to you. Regards, Flor de Maria

• robine's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Can I come to Peru and not go up?

by robine Online Now Feb 7, 2004 at 5:05 PM

Whatever you may think of mountains, on NO account miss magical Machu Picchu.

• El_Sueco's Profile Photo

by El_Sueco Online Now Feb 8, 2004 at 4:23 PM

Some answer you can get from an earlier posting: http://www.virtualtourist.com/f/p/be63/ But I must add that the topography of Peru is that way, that if you leave the coast you have to enter some mountains. (On my first visit I would not either miss Macchu Picchu and Cusco!) However, it is possible to go along the sea coust, a beautiful journey, but I think you will miss something if you don´t start with Cusco-Machu Picchu. The amazon region is the other alternative, Iquitos or Puorto Maldonado or something like that. Arequipa is beautful, and the valley of Colca, but they are mountain region too ... :-(

• Re: Re: Can I come to Peru and not go up?

by kallyho Online Now Feb 13, 2004 at 9:22 PM

how cold is it in the mountains? Thanks Kally

• rjwslats's Profile Photo

by rjwslats Online Now Feb 14, 2004 at 12:08 PM

At this moment of writing I am in Cusco myself, which is at 3400m height. And I can tell you: it is not cold. It is about 20 degrees, but it cools a bit when it rains. I do not know yet about higher altitudes, but normally you would not go much higher. Remember it is summer here in Peru and thus temperatures are high.

by El_Sueco Online Now Feb 14, 2004 at 3:33 PM

In the mountains (ex. Cusco) you have a great contrast in temperature between day and night. During the coldest months June, July and August the temperature may descend to 3 or 4 degrees below zero.

by kallyho Online Now Feb 16, 2004 at 10:40 PM

thank you so much for the information. Kally I still think I am staying near the ground.

by El_Sueco Online Now Feb 16, 2004 at 11:54 PM

kallyho

by El_Sueco Online Now Feb 16, 2004 at 11:57 PM

kallyho I think you ought to reconsider that thought. Going to common tourist places, you don´t need to worry about the cold (although I don´t know anything about your background nor the country where you live, as it is not stated on your homepage). First I thought your disliking of mountains had something to do with height-fobia or something, but not just the cold. Don´t worry!

by kallyho Online Now Feb 18, 2004 at 5:19 PM

well I just don't want this altitude sickenss thing. Maybe seems silly, but it sounds just awful But the more I read the more I realize it will probably draw us there. Thanks for the replies.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines