Tromsø Travel Answers

change location

Birthday in Tromso (week-end 1/2 March 2008)

by Brahmsfr Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I am taking a special friend to Tromso for his birthday (week-end 1-2 March 08). Probably be staying at the Radisson hotel. Any suggestions for either an exceptional lodging/experience in Tromso and surroundings to make sure the birthday will be memorable and unique!
Many thanks for your help
Any questions about Paris (my home town), London (where I live), France, Spain, Morocco, Canada am happy to help.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Birthday in Tromso (week-end 1/2 March 2008)

by FletteMette Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 9:27 AM

I'd like to recommend Sommarøy / Hillesøy, which are two small islands an hour's drive or so from Tromsø. Very picturesque, beautiful landscapes - and a great place to spend a night, in one of the modern cabins right by the sea - see www.sommaroy.no for more info, I also have an "off the beaten path" tip about Sommarøy (and some photos) on my Tromsø page.

See www.destinasjontromso.no for info about some of the activities available in Tromsø - your options include dog sledding, reindeer sleigh rides, various northern lights excursions (not that you need to go on a tour to see the northern lights!), snowmobile safaris, ice fishing, skiing, snowshoeing...

Also feel free to take a look at my Tromsø page for some more info... (I currently live in Tromsø:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Birthday in Tromso (week-end 1/2 March 2008)

by FletteMette Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Oh, and you *have* to visit Aunegården for birthday cake.. :o) Aunegården is a very cosy cafe in the town centre - and the cakes are quite delicious! (address and more info on my Tromsø page if you're interested)

• Saagar's Profile Photo

Re: Birthday in Tromso (week-end 1/2 March 2008)

by Saagar Online Now Feb 12, 2008 at 12:54 PM

There is a Saami family that accommodates active visitors on the mainland just off Tromsø. Cannot remember their name right now, but it`s a well known activity. They will do wintery activities linked to reindeer herding traditions and you will get very close to Saami life.
    In Tromsø, try a good fish restaurant (there are a number of them, look at VT tips), visit the Polar Museum (more informative than Polaria), and see the outer coast of Kvaløya island. FletteMette mentiones Sommarøy, and I second that. If you want to extend your stay, fly on to Longyearbyen, see Svalbard on VT.
    Saagar

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines