Tripoli Travel Answers

change location

Visas

by eileens26 Online Now Jul 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM

I am told that Libya will not issue visas to less than groups of four. Any experience here? We plan a trip in early 2008 from the U.S. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • missionman's Profile Photo

Re: Visas

by missionman Online Now Jul 26, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Yes you can be in trouble with less than 4 people after 2 failures we finally got a visa for my wife and I through Sami El Gibany of Almuheet Tours in Benghazi.Caution should be taken with some comments made on here about people claiming to get visas.At present visas weren't available for residents of the USA see previous posts but as George has said the US and Libya are to finally exchange ambassadors guess that will soon change.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marenloo's Profile Photo

by marenloo Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Arrange with a travel agency (Almuheettours for example). They may have had a group and they can add you to it. You are not forced to follow the group.
    Last year , my VT friend Le_routad came to Libya via almuheet and we went around together without a tour guide.

• Re: Visas

by arahuma Online Now Oct 1, 2007 at 12:30 PM

u have to conatct local libyan travel agents ,they handle such stuff ,u can google and find many online ,best contatc is phone calling dont rely on e-mails ,,

• n_ennaji's Profile Photo

keep away from al muheet tours if you want to enjoy your trip.

by n_ennaji Online Now Feb 6, 2008 at 5:12 AM

You are planning a trip to Libya? Interesting destination. You want to spend half your time there quarreling for services you have paid for and you don't get? Choose Al muheet ( or ocean if you prefer it translated ) tours. It is most certain that mr Sami al Jaibrani , the owner of this agency will fool you with his exellent english and his politeness , showing his real face as soon as you enter the country.
    You will not sleep in the hotels you have chosen but in cheaper ones and you will hear lies that they are better,despite what you have read in Lonely planet's book. You will have the opportunity to eat in restaurants where not even beggars step in and he will have the impudence to ask if you have enjoyed your meal. If you are lucky enough you may spend a day or two in bed because of the quality of food.
    It is most certain that you will have the worst jeeps in the desert. No air con , lots of sand and dust in the cabin , mechanical breakdowns and you will hear the funny excuse that new jeeps are not allowed by law so that they won't smuggle. Of course as soon as you get to the desert you will see good quality jeeps carrying other tourists same time you go around in a ready to fall apart wreck.
    Most certainly you will feel sorry for what you deserved and they didn't give you.
    Libya has lots to see but choose wisely the agency that will guide you. Protect yourselves from those who only want to make some money fast at any cost.

• marenloo's Profile Photo

by marenloo Online Now Apr 22, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I know the office of Mr. Sami Jibani who is half-English half-Libyan. I don't know too much about him but he's not the only one in Libya. I said that he help you get the visa. If the traveler doesn't want to follow a tour guide and wants to pay for himself it will be cheeper. Nevertheless it's not advised for non-Arabic speakers.
    Any way , email me privately in case you have any problem I will let you know my phone number to help you. I'm not a travel agent but don't want to give bad impression about my country.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tripoli