Tripoli Travel Answers

change location
vankedi68's Profile Photo

Work in Libya

by vankedi68 Online Now Sep 14, 2004 at 1:14 PM

I am English and i am going to work in Libya for a year. Could some tell me what the living conditions there are like? Also the nice places to visit and things to do. I fly out on the 18th. Thank you Vankedi68

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Work in Libya

by Mousa_Kousa Online Now Sep 15, 2004 at 3:00 PM

I personally do not think visiting Libya is good idea, The country is still behind even third world civilization. Only Qaddaffi and sons are living good standards in Libya and own 95% of Libyan wealth and economy. Almost half of Libyan major private projects are run by Qaddaffi Sons with easy access to capital and no worries over risk factors. Libya is still 101% full dictatorship, disappearance and imprisonment for foreigners is common practice in Libya. No one allowed to talk freely and no freedom of expression. 62% of high unemployment and those who got the jobs either working for Qaddaffi in secret agents or doing it voluntarily just to keep the bread on the table ( example : see those who will attack my opinion here). With water pollution, frequent power cuts, telephone network limited coverage or damaged and poor public transport in intense summer heat, adding to people dishonesty and sheer greed for money and power, makes Libya highly unattractive destination. I really do not see Libya as potential tourism destination for at least another decade. Pure bureaucracy, system anarchy and officials corruption welcomes you the minute you land in the Airport. You will find simple paper work is impossible to accomplish without curruption. I advice you to get invitation from some one who works in the Qaddaffi security agencies, if you want easy ride, (and there are many). Knowing a peasant will get you both in trouble. One more thing.. you do not want to spit by mistake in the direction of Qaddaffi's poster in the street, nor you should be in the road if you see his 90 armed Jeep convoy passing, as Qaddaffi or one of his sons travels in one of these convoys. Finally.. Keep your head down and dont join any criticism.. it is only to fool you and capture you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • marenloo's Profile Photo

Re: Work in Libya

by marenloo Online Now Sep 20, 2004 at 9:34 AM

I live in Benghazi not in Tripoli but I'll try to help you. I have a lot of friends who live in Tripoli and like to help the foriegners. Please email me!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Tripoli