Trinidad and Tobago Travel Answers

change location

Onward flights neccesity?

by desert_rat_57 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Bob smith
To info@mns.gov.tt

Hello I am a UK citizen and I am hoping to come to Trinidad & Tobago for an unforseen amout of time, the reason for this is that I am travelling all winter and my return ticket is for May 9th when I will fly back to England for the summer. I will be flying back to the UK from Miami, USA. I am in Panama city, Panama at the moment and I hope to fly to Port of Spain on the 14th February. When I asked questions about flying to TT in Panama they asked me did I have an onward flight ticket, I said I dont need one because I have my Miami ticket back home also when I get to Trinidad I can make up mind how I want to get back to Miami. I am hoping to visit a good few of the Caribbean Islands on the way but I dont want to have to book onward tickets as I might want to stay longer in various places. I am a pensioner and I have adequate funds to do trips like this every winter, my question is ..... do I have to book an onward flight from TT or is my Miami return ticket okay. Bob Smith

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: Onward flights neccesity?

by travelmad478 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM

If the airline won't let you fly without it, then you'll have to get it. Ask the airline.

Airlines are held responsible for checking the travel documents of every passenger that they transport to another country, to make sure that the passenger is eligible to enter that country. If they don't do this properly, they will be subject to hefty fines from any country that turns a passenger away at the border--and the airline will be required to fly that person right back out again. So although you may think you have what you need, if the airline doesn't think so, you'll have to play by their rules.

For what it's worth, I doubt any country (including yours) would be thrilled to have a person show up at immigration control and say "I'm going to be here for an unforeseen amount of time--let me in!"

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As travelmad says ... not a great choice of wording re unforeseen time but what's done is done.

Again I say check with the airline.

My experience tells me that the smaller countries with less resources are more likely to enforce this rule. Most countries have this rule very few check or enforce it.. Frankly they don't want and can't afford to have people retiring there and drawing on their meager health resources in particular. Have the US would like to retire to the Carribean if it was that easy with likewise half of Ausralia heading for the Pacific. I'm sure however your intentions are honorable and merely stating how other countries see things.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM

when I had a look to TT I found there were boats to Aruba and Venezuela, an escape could be that, better book an hotel reservation [which could be cancelled] and show that saying it's not possible to by ferry ticket on line and you will do locally.
    >> I am hoping to visit a good few of the Caribbean Islands
    have a look at this page
    caribbean-airlines.com/index...
    I suggest to go to the Grenadine Islands on the way to Miami

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM

If they want to see an airline ticket just buy the cheapest one way refundable to somewhere you can find. Once you arrive you can then cancel it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Trinidad and Tobago Travel Answer Locations