Trinidad Travel Answers

change location

Bring frozen meat on a plane?

by crummer Online Now May 15, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Visiting some friends in T&T. They requested I bring some Boudain (it's a sausage type meat packaged like bratwurst). Can I package that in my underside luggage? I know there are restrictions on fruits and vegetables coming in the country... but I can't remember meat.

Any help would be appreciated

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • sccpm's Profile Photo

Re: Bring frozen meat on a plane?

by sccpm Online Now May 15, 2009 at 11:31 AM

We encountered great difficulty clearing customs in Philadelphia one year. We had a sealed tin of canned sausages in our luggage. Check the guidelines very carefully. If it says "no meats" it means what it says. It wasn't worth the aggravation we went through to keep it. Actually, we forgot to toss it before we left St.Martin.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jethanand's Profile Photo

by jethanand Online Now May 15, 2009 at 11:54 AM

You are correct in asking because laws vary for each country. You might have problems with T&T i.e. what you are allowed to import more so than what you are allowed to export. I have witnessed Jamaicans buying frozen meat for shipment from Miami.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Have a look at the Customs website of T&T:

customs.gov.tt/travellers.ph...

It lists meat as personal effects that have to be declared upon arrival. To me this means that it is allowed to bring it into the country as long as it is not an excessive quantity, as personal effects are defined as "being used or consumed by the traveller during his stay".

You can contact them by email to:

asycuda@customs.gov.tt

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines