Trinidad Travel Answers

change location

How Dangerous is it really in Trinidad for Americans?

by securitasmentis Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 10:31 AM

I am travelling to Trinidad to do some work on a documentary on world peace. Now trinidad is said to have the 6th highest crime rate making it a prime topic of discussion in the documentary. My question has to do with dress - whats the best way for me to plan to dress. I will be there for a couple of months - what suggestions do you have? What kinds of american fashion should I steer clear from? Thank you for any advice you might have - including other tips on safety.

Any advice is welcome. I will be staying in St. Augustine so any tips on places to eat, neighborhoods to avoid, local hangouts, etc. Thank you all much.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: How Dangerous is it really in Trinidad for Americans?

by coy1990 Online Now Jul 18, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Hi - I can't imagine you having any problems at all in Trinidad, Cuba, even as an American. Other than petty crime (crime of opportunity), there is very little danger anywhere in Cuba. We spent several days there in May, walked everywhere (we are seniors) and had no problems whatsoever. As far as dress is concerned, you can pretty much wear anything you would wear at home.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • fallingnow's Profile Photo

Re: How Dangerous is it really in Trinidad for Americans?

by fallingnow Online Now Jul 19, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Trinidad, in Cuba, it's a very quiet town, very safe....I'm pretty sure you're talking about Trinidad & Tobago, the caribbean island, right?
    Sorry, you should find the correct forum about.
    Best wishes.

by Gypsygreen Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 11:19 AM

I have been to Trinidad on multiple occassions and have not experienced any problems. I do think that this is partly because I have been in the company of a local. However, general street smarts is always in play. Be careful about where you go after dark. Be careful not to wear any expensive jewerly or fancy clothing. You can wear jeans, shorts, khakis, etc.

I have been to many areas of Trinidad at various times of day. I'm a very intuitive person and can say that I was never in an situation where I felt uncomfortable. It does help if you have someone who is knowledgable about the different areas as well.

I have also included the official travel warnings from the US Government, as it pertains to Trinidad.

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_...

by jerry226 Online Now Aug 6, 2007 at 11:33 AM

being a trinidadian, i can sadly say that trinidad does have a ridiculously high crime rate...though i have never been the victim of a criminal attack in my life (thank the Lord for that)...the main criminal hotspots in trinidad is the beetham/laventille area that u pass on your way to the capital, Port of Spain...u'll know it by the clustered, shabby housing located next to the highway that leads in and out of Port of spain...u said that you are staying in st. augustine, so i'm guessing u would be affiliated with the University of the West Indies which is located there...i'm about to start school there in september and everyone keeps telling me to don't walk home late at night alone...and if you must, walk with some small change like a20. TT in your pocket just in case u get held up so that u'll have something to give them...as far as the dress is concerned, right now we are going through the wet season...where there will be alot of rain...and sometimes scorching heat...about the fashion - it varies, from race to race sometimes...people wear whatever they feel like, jeans n jersey with sneakers, or if you're a woman, jeans n a top with a slippers, something like that...i honestly think the fashion styles in trinidad try to mirror those of USA to be honest...as for local hangouts near st. augustine, there is trincity mall which also has a cineplex called caribbean cinemas 8...it's basically the liming spot for UWI students who just want to relax...there's also movie towne...if you're a club person there's Club Zen in port of spain, Space as well as Sting in the south

by Lolaflores Online Now Feb 1, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Trinidad in Cuba, as well as any other province in the Country is Safe my friend, If you land trough Cienfuegos, you will be traveling in a Bus and it will take aprox 45 mnts to 1 hr. Cuba is very safe and Trinidad's streets are very ancient, specially for those who are interested in the Colonial Era. Just some clues, do not get a ride in a private car,2 take a tourist taxi,3 if you rent a car that will be the best option, 4 and do not pick up any one you see in the ROAD, 5 don't go any places with Cubans if they invite you somewhere, 6 just be on your own or with whoever is coming with you. These are tips that will help you to remain away form being betrayed by liars, and from those who want to take advantage of you.

Take my Advice, I lived there for 23 years.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines