Trinidad Travel Answers

change location
ramansankar's Profile Photo

Lots of Info Wanted

by ramansankar Online Now Aug 9, 2004 at 5:05 AM

Hi I will be visiting Trinidad with my wife on work. My work is scheduled to run for a period of more than 6 months in Trinidad. I would like to know a few things to be prepared. 1. Whats the weather scene during the year starting say October ? ( I know that region is tropical but if someone could be a little more specific on the temp and rainy months etc i could be more prepared ) 2. What is the average expense for a couple in Trinidad for a month ? Pls tell me for all exp incl. - veg food, local travel, household goods, toiletries etc. 3. How good is Trinidad as a shopping destination ? 4. What are the chances of my wife getting a job there ? She would be there on a dependant visa. Can she work part time ( in an office ) somewhere ? If yes, what is the avg she can earn in a week ? 5. Would my work permit allow me to travel to the rest of the carribean ? 6. What are the important things to note immediately on my arrival there for the first month ? T I A Cheers Raman

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • AnjaV's Profile Photo

Re: Lots of Info Wanted

by AnjaV Online Now Aug 9, 2004 at 10:25 AM

Hi Raman Are you talking about Trinidad Cuba??? ... and what will be your job there. Sorry for the questions but before I give you alot of answer I would like to know this first ... Anja

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ramansankar's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Lots of Info Wanted

by ramansankar Online Now Aug 10, 2004 at 4:27 AM

This is trinidad and tobago islands and my job will be that of a software consultant for a bank there.

by ramansankar Online Now Aug 10, 2004 at 4:33 AM

to reiterate this will be Port of Spain TIA

• AnjaV's Profile Photo

Re: Lots of Info Wanted

by AnjaV Online Now Aug 10, 2004 at 5:55 AM

... I already thought so ... You asked your question in the wrong place. This is the Trindad de Cuba forum ...

• Re: Lots of Info Wanted

by bidsi Online Now Aug 13, 2004 at 2:25 PM

Tinidad and shopping don't go together, you will think you have stepped back in time. Most toiletries are in short supply so take plenty. The temp in Dec/Jan is aprox 26 and the rainy season is July August. Things are very cheap but hard to come by and there are lot's of beggars but most of them will go away if you ask them to and they are after things like soap etc. Kids are desperate for school things just basics like pens etc so if you can take any of them it would be great. Enjoy, we did and can't wait to go back.

by ramansankar Online Now Aug 13, 2004 at 9:57 PM

thats good advice. will keep it in mind when i am there. thanks.

• RE: Lots of Info Wanted

by sue27 Online Now Jun 16, 2006 at 1:45 AM

Hi Raman

We too will be visiting Trinidad & Tobago in August for several months and am wondering if you can give us any advice/tips about the island?

Many thanks

Sue

• RE: RE: Lots of Info Wanted

by trin8 Online Now Oct 13, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Hi Raman

I live in Trinidad and Tobago, and what bidsi said is wrong. Although I am not able to answer fully right now, rest assured that your stay in Trinidad and Tobago will be comfortable as an expatriate. TnT is not backward as bidsi stated; on the contrary it is one of the most industrialised Caribbean nations. Several American chains of restaurants and hotels are in place and much of what you can buy there you can buy here. I do not know about the immigration laws as they pertain to your wife being able to work in the country and your ability to travel to neighbouring islands. What I can tell you now, though, is that June to December is the rainy season. Expect rainshowers everyday and often several times a day. When it is not raining it is usually hot, around 31C for a high.

• RE: RE: Lots of Info Wanted

by adamshowman Online Now Nov 4, 2006 at 8:32 AM

We are thinking about going to trinidad and tobago in august. Ideally we would like to be able to sit out on the beach all day long in the sun. From what you said about the rainy season will this be possible or will we have to spend most of our time indoors?

• Re: Lots of Info Wanted

by jerry226 Online Now Aug 6, 2007 at 11:44 AM

i can only answer you're first question...yes trinidad is in the tropical region...on average daytime temperatures can range from 31-34 degrees celsius...now it's the rainy season (july - december) which means that for the rest of the year, u can expect lots of rain especially in the afternoon to evening time of the day...the day starts off sunny, sometimes cloudless n then before u know it, the place is overcast...during these months you're best friend would be an umbrella and well if a jacket also...there are also some flood proned areas too, so i suggest u find out where exactly u will be working...if it is you're working in the capital, there's is some flooding which can lead to traffic...
    i can also answer question 3...i've heard mixed reviews on the prices in trinidad...sometimes the prices are better than the US, other times they're not...there are wide varieties of things u can buy in trinidad. it's best to try to bargain with the sales people, and also look around to see if u can get a better price...also, be on the lookout for imitation items especially clothing...if u have an eye for these things then i don't think u would have any problems with shopping in trinidad

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines