change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• A travel itinerary for a 6 day vacation

Sri Lanka Jan 16, 2015 at 6:44 AM

Hi!!

My 70 yr old parents in law are travelling to Sri Lanka in March 2015. Any recommendations for an easy paced holiday? I'm considering a beach resort (3/4 star) and a city.

The hotel/resort should have some restaurants/shopping at walking distance. I'm only aware of Bentota as a beach resort, can you recommend any others that fit the bill?

Also the other city break- Colombo or Kandy? Pros and cons of both would be much appreciated.....

Thanks so much, in advance!

Cheers!
      Sangeeta

more
    • Esala Perahera Festival

Sri Lanka Jan 25, 2015 at 7:35 AM

How much time should one give to seeing this festival? Is the last day 'a must see', or are the other days just as eventful. I am limited on the time in Sri Lanka as I plan to go to Nepal after.

Any opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.

more
    • nattybabe's Profile Photo

3 days in Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Jan 4, 2015 at 3:33 AM

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are heading to Sri Lanka in a couple of weeks but are unsure as to where to go in that time. I have been to Kandy etc but he's never been before. We were thinking the South East Coast but are unsure which part. Do we have time to go as far south as Galle or Bentota? We will have 3 days ie landing at 4am on the Friday morning and departing 7pm on the Sunday night.

I would love to see the fishermen on the stilts as well as the turtle hatchery etc. No strict must sees though as we'll just be there to relax, eat and soak up the culture.

Many thanks, Natalie

more
    • ingap25's Profile Photo

Sri Lanka Tour

Sri Lanka Jan 19, 2015 at 7:44 AM

I'm planning a 10-days tour of Sri Lanka. Which place should I visit and how to travel from place to place?
      Thank you!!

more
    • Finding a driver/guide for Cultural Triangle trip

Sri Lanka Jan 14, 2015 at 1:12 PM

How to find a reliable and honest driver/guide for pick up in Kandy (3 adults), then 3 nights based at Habarana for touring to Sirigiya/Dambulla, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa before returning to Kandy on day 4. We are happy to book our own accommodation. Need someone with good English, and a knowledgeable and safe driver who can take us to the 'must see' places please. Thanks for any advice.

more
    • ayurveda hotel

Sri Lanka Yesterday

hello!!!! can you suggest any hotel offering ayurveda treatments. no touristy big hotel please.thank you

more
    • Hotel near the airport in Colombo

Sri Lanka Jan 12, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Upon our arrival in Sri Lanka I would like to book a hotel near the Colombo airport for the first night and the night before we depart. Any recommendations, and are there any hotels that provide free transportation from the airport to their hotel?

more
    • Bladewings's Profile Photo

Colombo To Sigiriya and Back?

Sigiriya Jan 20, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Hi can anyone advise me, how much I should expect to pay for a driver from Colombo to Sigiriya and back on the same day? Leaving at about 5am in the morning. I was told it is doable and was quoted, 13,500 Rupees. I was also quoted 5000 Rupees for a driver for a day by someone else but the Sigiriya trip may be considered a bit longer than a standard "day". How does the price sound? Too expensive or reasonable?

Thanks.

more
    • travel to Kandy

Sri Lanka Jan 18, 2015 at 2:46 PM

is there an inexpensive minivan shuttle, or way to share a taxi from the airport near colombo to Kandy ?

more
    • Finding accommodation

Sri Lanka Jan 15, 2015 at 2:51 AM

We are travelling to Sri Lanka in February and have accommodation arranged in Colombo for the first couple of nights. We like to keep our options open when travelling rather than book accommodation in advance. This worked well for us in Costa Rica last year. Is it easy to find guest houses at short notice whilst travelling around? We will probably use public transport where possible and maybe hire a car and driver for more remote places. Thanks.

more
    • meilanlin.sherry's Profile Photo

Is is safe to travel alone as a 21 girl

Sri Lanka Jan 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Hello everyone,

I would like to travel 3 weeks in sri lanka from jan. to feb. alone.

I have seen this kind of question before but it was asked in 2004.

I would like to have some updated news, thank you so much!

Generally, during the day (i don't go out alone midnight), is it safe for public transportation, tourist places,,,etc.

cheers,

sherry

more
    • Masha_M's Profile Photo

how is the weather in January?

by Masha_M Online Now Nov 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Hi, how is the weather in January in Trincomalee and at the beaches on the East coast? I know it's rainy season, but can you still enjoy a nice beach holiday? Are most hotels open? Do people still stay on the beach? Or is it all deserted due to bad weather? Would south coast be much better? Or just a little better?
      Thanks!

7 Answers Nov 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    • anonxxx's Profile Photo

jaffna to trincomalee

by anonxxx Online Now Aug 30, 2014 at 3:31 AM

I am travelling in november 2014 from Jaffna to Trincomalee, what is the best way of transport? any timetables?
      thank you for your time,
      Joan

1 Answer Aug 30, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    • transport from colombo

by helena20 Online Now Jul 25, 2014 at 3:12 AM

I was wondering how I would find times and book an air con bus/coach from colombo to Trincomalee?

2 Answers Jul 25, 2014 at 4:14 AM
    • Accomodation

by Normyc Online Now Jun 12, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Hi all. I am really struggling to find good accomodation in and around the Trinco/Nilaveli area for August. Ideally, we'd like a beach front location, quite secluded and happy to go basic as long as it's clean and has mosquito nets! Our budget is £60pn - does anyone know of anywhere they'd recommend?

2 Answers Jul 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    • rberelia's Profile Photo

Night Bus service from Kandy or Kurunagela to Trincomalee

by rberelia Online Now Nov 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM

is there any Night Bus - Luxury or AC - service from Kandy or Kurunagela to Trincomalee. Frequency and time table of the service please
      Regards

3 Answers Nov 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    • Photographs

by mikmyro Online Now Aug 17, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I am looking for someone to take a digital picture of a gravestone in the Trinco Protestant Cemetery. Also to find out if church birth/marriage/death records still exist for the area. Do you know of anyone?

1 Answer Aug 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    • Family Guest Houses in Trincomale and Kilinochchiya area

by sandya56 Online Now Jun 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Hey Guys,

We are planning to visit Tricomalee, Kilinochchiya and Jaffana in late December 2010 to Early Januaray 2011.

We would be grateful if any of you could provide information on family guest houses.

Thank you kindly

Sandya and the family

2 Answers Aug 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    • How long will it take to get to Jaffna

by Andare Online Now May 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM

How far and how long will it take for us to drive by car from Trincomalee to Jaffna?
      And what is there to see in Trincomalee other than the beaches, and Pigeon Island?

4 Answers May 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM
    • Advice Needed!! Trincomalee, Batticoloa, Ampara

by tkirti Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Hey guys,
      My friends and I are trying to plan a trip through the east. We are starting in Kandy and then going up to Trincomalee, then Batticoloa and lastly Ampara and back to Kandy.

I've been trying to figure out how to get from Kandy to Trinco and I've never been more confused. Does anyone know if there are direct buses from Kandy to Trinco or any train service? If not, what are best routes from Kandy to Trinco using public transportation?

I've also been trying to find some budget accommodations in Trinco and it's been pretty much impossible. Does anyone know of places that are around Rs.1000-1500 per night for a double room?

Also, what is the best way to get to Batticoloa from Trinco? Also, is it possible to get from Batti or Ampara back to Kandy or would I have to go back to Trinco to find public transportation back to Kandy?

Sorry for all the questions! Any other advice/tips you have regarding the east coast would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

3 Answers Mar 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    • looking Holiday house

by markfonseka Online Now Dec 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM

We are looking Holiday house for two days.
      Suppose to come with our family members on 27Dec - 28Dec.
      Please let me know.

• Nilaveli to Arugam Bay

by bobtrish Online Now Jul 20, 2004 at 10:16 PM

Does anyone know the best route to take to travel from Nilaveli to Arugam Bay, and approximately how many hours? Thanks

2 Answers Aug 1, 2004 at 1:09 PM
    • Safety

by smw53 Online Now Jul 15, 2004 at 5:58 AM

I am due to visit Trincomalee at the start of august. I am concerned about safety due to the worsening security/political situation. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice

2 Answers Jul 16, 2004 at 8:07 PM
    • Wadduwa and Kalamata

by kimspence Online Now Jun 1, 2004 at 7:47 AM

I am considering going to either the above in September and wanted to hear from anyone about the local area. For instance, outside the all inclusive hotels is there much going on - restaurants/bars/shops etc.

1 Answer Jun 1, 2004 at 2:36 PM
    • The Sea Angler's Club Trincomalee

by Stonesheygate Online Now May 8, 2004 at 9:26 AM

Does anyone know whether the Sea Angler's Club in China Bay is open? Is it possible to make reservations? Does it still have motor boats for rod and line fishing? I am hoping to be in Trinco in August with a family of four - and the Sea Angler's Club is where we would like to stay if possible.

5 Answers Mar 10, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    • Cheap Accommodation in Trincomalee

by kodaijuly Online Now Apr 6, 2004 at 12:11 PM

Will be travelling to Sri Lanka in end May-mid June and would like to visit NE Region on low budget. Perhaps stay in local accommodation or nice cheap guesthouse? Any ideas and thanks for this July

3 Answers Apr 23, 2004 at 9:34 AM
    • Hotels in Trincomalee/ Nilaveli

by Emma10 Online Now Feb 24, 2004 at 7:14 AM

I am going to Sri Lanka in July for my honeymoon and wanted to stay in Trincomalee/ Nilaveli for a few days. I wondered if anyone had any hotel recommendations - The Nilaveli Beach hotel doesn't look that great, and I have read mixed reviews, although I understand it is on the most beautiful beach. I was thinking about the French Garden Guesthouse (maybe a bit basic????) or the Club Oceanic. Has anyone stayed in any of these? Any advice much apprecitated!! Emma

5 Answers Mar 24, 2005 at 7:47 PM
    • hiring a car from trinco to the airport

by avisitor Online Now Oct 14, 2003 at 10:12 AM

a group of us are planning to visit Trinco in December. One person will need to get back to the airport the next day. Is it possible to rent a car and driver from the Nilaveli Beach Hotel for the return trip for one person? Is it safe? Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 21, 2003 at 10:21 AM
    • Mick_B's Profile Photo

Wadduwa

by Mick_B Online Now Jun 23, 2003 at 12:12 PM

We are going to wadduwa in September, I have read all the forum messages and this place is never mentioned, is it ok here or have we made a mistake. Are the beaches ok or is it better in the south. Thanks Mick

3 Answers Jun 29, 2003 at 6:35 AM
    • Crowther's Profile Photo

Diving

by Crowther Online Now Jun 6, 2003 at 8:21 AM

What diving is available on the east coast, Trincolmallee to Batticola

1 Answer Jun 9, 2003 at 1:53 PM
    • Recommend a hotel in Trinco for family 5?

by sjc1355 Online Now Jun 6, 2003 at 7:09 AM

Could anyone recommend a good hotel in Trinco for a family of five, 2 adults and 3 children near town? We will be in Trinco in early August.

3 Answers Jul 29, 2003 at 3:23 AM