Trincomalee Travel Answers

change location

Advice Needed!! Trincomalee, Batticoloa, Ampara

by tkirti Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Hey guys,
My friends and I are trying to plan a trip through the east. We are starting in Kandy and then going up to Trincomalee, then Batticoloa and lastly Ampara and back to Kandy.

I've been trying to figure out how to get from Kandy to Trinco and I've never been more confused. Does anyone know if there are direct buses from Kandy to Trinco or any train service? If not, what are best routes from Kandy to Trinco using public transportation?

I've also been trying to find some budget accommodations in Trinco and it's been pretty much impossible. Does anyone know of places that are around Rs.1000-1500 per night for a double room?

Also, what is the best way to get to Batticoloa from Trinco? Also, is it possible to get from Batti or Ampara back to Kandy or would I have to go back to Trinco to find public transportation back to Kandy?

Sorry for all the questions! Any other advice/tips you have regarding the east coast would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: Advice Needed!! Trincomalee, Batticoloa, Ampara

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Obviously, because of the war, the north/east coast is much less travelled until recently, and I would think there are still transport problems, just being familiar with Lanka in general.

When I went to Trinco several yrs ago, I was in a private car, so didn't have to map it out for myself, but as far as train,if starting from KANDY, you would have to go back to POLGAHAWELA and thence north to MAHO and then over to GAL OYA, to then proceed to either Trinco or Batti. See railway map: railway.gov.lk/railway_netwo... and
    http://www.seat61.com/SriLanka.htm

As far as busses from Kandy or elsewhere, you should just find that out when you get there, and I am sure that there are lots of busses; and last July, service was re-established between Trinco and Batti.

Not sure what you might be able to find in Batti.....since it has been such a difficult area for so long, there may well still be good deals, so by scouring the internet, maybe you can find some blogs, but I don't have time to do that for you.

I travelled all that area by myself back in the 70s and of course just figured it all out as I went; no need to have it all mapped out or reservations now! Your profile doesn't say where you are from or if you have done much travelling such as this, but the Sri lankan people are very warm, and helpful.

If you don't already have a great inexpensive place to stay in Kandy, have a look at my page and the SPICA HOLIDAY HOME, which has an excellent website too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • shawnbrito's Profile Photo

by shawnbrito Online Now Mar 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM

There are buses from Kandy to Dambulla. However you will need to get a connecting bus from Dambulla to Trinco.. I am not sure about your Batticaloa trip as I travel very often to Batticaloa by Van and rarely see buses on the road.. Unless your familiar with the Batticaloa train schedules, I would advise you against going as you might appear lost.. The security system has been relaxed, but I'm not sure about the bus transport.. You may have to rough it out by standing on the foot-board :)

There are no such bus services from Ampara to Kandy. However you can get a connecting route from Ampara->Monaragala->Badulla or Ampara->Mahiyangana.. Either way, the route is a hard, hot, humid stretch!

If your traveling to Trinco, opt for a weekday trip (as weekends are fully booked).. If your thinking Trains (which is much better, as I use them only in the hills), try the following train schedule from Maho to Baticaloa.... Either way, you are looking at a good 6hours journey from Maho to Baticalo!

NO. 6077. MIXED. DAILY - MHO / BCO 08:55:00 15:20:00
    No. 6081. Pass. Daily - FOT / BCOs. Daily - GOA / BCO 09:15:00 15:00:00
    No. 6011,Intercity, Daily -FOT-BCO (Udaya Devi) 13:00:00 18:25:00
    No.6079, Colombo Fort - Batticoloa |Passenger Mail Daily | Train No.6079 | 22:00:00 04:00:00

Rates
    Class Amount (Rs.)
    1st 540.00
    2nd 300.00
    3rd 160.00

So it appears that Trains are fully operating to Batticaloa... If you can get back from Ampara to Bati, you will find a good way back home to Maho and then Kandy :) -- But always remember, your looking at a half a days journey (one way)!

Good Luck..

• shawnbrito's Profile Photo

by shawnbrito Online Now Mar 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM

By the way, the columns on the schedule are:
    [Train ID] [Arrival Time Maho] [Arrival Time Batticaloa]

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines