Townsville

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• snorkeling

Airlie Beach Jul 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I'll spend 4 days in august in arlie Beach.
      I like snorkeling . Can you give me any suggestions for a good excursions not too expensive ?

Tks, massimo from Italy

more
    • hotel near Lagoon?

Airlie Beach Jul 8, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Hi, is there a hotel or b & b near the lagoon in Arlie Beach? We really want to swim there, it's enchanting!
      Thank you!
      Carrell & Marty

more
    • what to do

Toowoomba Jul 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

what is there to do in toowoomba on a saturday ? we are 3 bored uni students :)

more
    • lovinoz's Profile Photo

Dinner recommendation

Port Douglas Jul 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM

We will be in Port Douglas for our 10th wedding anniversary in early August and would like to have a special dinner on the special day. Cost isn't an issue, but we will have our 16 month old daughter with us so it needs to be a child-friendly place. No kids menu necessary as she just eats off my plate. I would appreciate any suggestions for which restaurant.

more
    • lovinoz's Profile Photo

Snorkelling with a 1 year old

Port Douglas Jul 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

My husband and I are going to Port Douglas to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in early August. We will have our 16 month old daughter with us too. We would love to go for a day trip snorkel tour. I'm looking for advice about the best tour, considering the type of boat and destination.

We will be staying in Port Douglas for 7 nights and Cairns for 2 nights, so preference would be to do the day tour from Port Douglas. Obviously we will take turns snorkelling as one of us will need to look after Siena. I know there are 2 types of tours - one type is just on a boat for the whole day and the other type is a boat trip to an island where you can snorkel off the shore. I like the idea of the island since it means Siena can run around and play at the water's edge while one of us snorkels, however I don't want to go with this option if the coral isn't as spectacular as snorkeling off a boat only tour if you know what I mean. These tours are not cheap, so I want to make sure we get to see some amazing coral. I've seen some of the tours that go to an island advertise glass bottom boats, which could be good for Siena but she is also very young and won't really understand what she is seeing. Siena is generally content anywhere she can run around (supervised of course) so any feedback about specific boats would be appreciated. Our entertainment book has a discount for tours with Silver Series, so any specific feedback about their tours would be great (that is a boat only tour).

Thanks in advance.

more
    • One day trip to Moreton Islands without booking any tour packages

Moreton Island Jun 23, 2014 at 4:41 AM

I am an individual (travelling alone) and planning to go to Moreton Islands from Brisbane but don't wish to book any tour packages as they are expensive and doesn't interest me. I don't have a 4WD and wants to see most of the place. Please suggest any suitable options and is it a good idea to go there on your own without a 4WD (which they say is a must).

more
    • Good Spots for a decent breakfast

Gold Coast Jul 11, 2014 at 5:48 AM

Hi, just wondering if anyone has found a great coffee/breakfast bar that isn't too commercial and not full of the normal rubbery eggs and fatty bacon?

more
    • Gold Coast and Brisbane itinerary and weather

Gold Coast Jul 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Will be going to Gold Coast for 8 nights and in between to go Brisbane for a day trip. Travel period will be first 2 weeks of October - 2A and 2C (age 12 years old). Any good suggestion on where to go day by day and also what is the weather during this period?

more
    • Is Emerald worth seeing

Emerald Jun 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM

What is there do do and see in Emerald. Is it worth spending 3 days there

more
    • 7_seconds's Profile Photo

need help with trip planing

Cairns Jun 24, 2014 at 7:22 AM

hello there! my husband and i are planing our honeymoon in australia in september. we will be based in sydney but my greatest desire is to visit great barrier reef. so i chose cairns as a base because i've heard there are situated most companies for GBR. we plan to stay in cairns maybe 2-3 or 4 days max. during that time i'd like to see something else in the surrounding area, and i've been surfing for interesting things for a while now and i only got frustrated and confused - there are SO many things to see and do there! its so hard to pick which ones to go during those few days.

so what i'm really looking for are suggestions, what should we take? we are on a bit of a budget too, but still, apart form GBR it seems to me that Daintree rainforest is and interesting site to see as well. also some whitewater rafting is said to be good as well. whitsundays are beautiful also and apparently can't be missed..
      i was looking for GBR tours and some of the major companies are situated in port douglas. is it better to be based in port douglas rather than cairns?

i'm completely lost :-(

we are looking for active holiday, i don't really care much about swiming pools, sunbathing or the "lazy" activities, we prefer seeing as much of australia as possible.

more
    • luggage locker hire

by FionaT Online Now Sep 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Is there anywhere in Townsville where you can hire a secure locker for up to a day? I don't want to be carrying my suitcase around for 8 hours before we head to the airport for departure.

1 Answer Sep 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    • Migrating to Townsville

by chegutu Online Now Mar 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I am from Zimbabwe and am considering to study for my masters program at James Cook University Townsville. I would like to know about the cost of living, job prospects and entertainment in Townsvilles. We are a family of 4.

2 Answers Apr 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM
    • Transportation needed

by ShariLou Online Now Feb 16, 2010 at 7:27 AM

My husband and I are using the cheap flight passes with Virgin Blue airlines...must make three trips. So we can get to Townsville but really want to be in hamilton Beach/ whitsunday area. does anyone know how to do that without renting a car?
      Thank you

5 Answers Feb 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    • wanted Accommodation in Townsville

by rjv.bwj11 Online Now Sep 22, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Hello Everyone,
      I am from India and i will be in Townsville(Australia) for some official purpose but since i've never gone Australia before this, I dont have any idea about from where to get accommodation and how, Actually i got a website which claims to provide Accomodation in Townsville the url of which is

townsville-accommodation.com...

Can anybody let me know the fairness of getting accommodation through the website provider or is there any other source from where i can get accommodation. I want to get it done before coming to Townsville.

6 Answers Oct 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM
    • tangomango's Profile Photo

Adventurers Resort Townsville

by tangomango Online Now Sep 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Hi,I am driving to Townsville(my hometown)in late October and was thinking of staying @ The Adventurers Resort.Has anybody stayed there and would they recommend it as a cheap place to stay..??...Mangoes everyday...!!...Thankyou in advance...!!

• tangomango's Profile Photo

Where have all the theatres gone..??

by tangomango Online Now Feb 3, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Hello,Does anybody remember..??...The Roxy,Wintergarden,Olympia,Astor,Sun,just to name a few theaters of a bygone era...Their was a theater in North Ward,one @ Railway Estate,Aitkenvale..??...Not to forget the Norline drive-in...
      Do these buildings still exist..??..Buildings which housed Sadler's Sound Lounge,Y.C.W Hop in Mundingburra,The Shack up Denham Street..??...
      I will return....!!!

• general costs of living in Townsville

by Rachello Online Now Jan 6, 2008 at 3:00 PM

By the end of the year I plan to have enough money to go travelling in Australia. I plan on staying in Townsville for about a month; as i will be doing volunteer work i have accomodation already sorted. However I want to get a rough idea of how much daily costs and activities would be.Such as alcoholic drinks in bars,food, how much to tip at restaurants etc etc.

As it is will be my first time travelling, any advise will be helpful. Also any activities which you would recommend will be useful.

thanks,

Rachel

3 Answers Jan 16, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    • Moving to Townsville

by Jewelz14369 Online Now Feb 2, 2007 at 8:09 PM

I'm a 25 college grad from the US planning on moving to Townsville, AU in July of 07. I have done alot of research, but I have never been to Townsville. Can anyone give some info on what area to live in, job market possibilities, pros and cons to living in Townsville?????? Is Townsville a good place to migrate to? or should I plan on moving somewhere else? I have an environmental background and are interested in any area near the Great Barrier Reef, where do I need to be?
      thanks,
      JD

3 Answers Jun 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM
    • Snorkelling off Townsville

by Spenno Online Now Jan 8, 2007 at 2:57 AM

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking for a nice relaxing getaway and can get really cheap flights to Townsville. We would really like to do some quality snorkelling and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the snorkelling available off Townsville or magnetic island. How is it compared to other areas in the great barrier reef? Is it worth seeing?

Any thoughts? your advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Miss_1984's Profile Photo

Moving To Townsville from SA

by Miss_1984 Online Now Dec 28, 2006 at 10:43 PM

Im thinking of moving to Townsville from Adelaide, but have not yet been there.... would like some first hand advice from the locals on what kind of place it is, what sorts of shops there are and other facilities.. I have a 2 year old son and I am a single mum, aged 22. Would like a fresh start and get to know some new people and raise my son in a good environment...what are the 'better' suburbs to live in and what is the employment like up there? i would love to gain employment in art/photography... thanks guys. Cheers! xx

4 Answers Dec 20, 2008 at 1:37 AM
    • Townsville nightlife???

by Matt_182 Online Now Jul 31, 2006 at 5:32 AM

I have read all the posts on all the awesome stuff to do like dive the reef, Castle rock, Magnetic Island, the aquarium, etc, etc, etc. What's there to do when the sun goes down, there has to be some good bars/pubs or clubs. I'm looking for a younger crowd, I'm 25. Let me know, I'll be visiting at the end of August/early September for about 3- 4 days.

1 Answer Dec 11, 2006 at 6:07 PM
    • Cheaper diving, Cairns to Whitsundays

by LouiseJ Online Now Aug 31, 2005 at 6:04 AM

Hi there I'm going to fly into Cairns in late September and fly out of Proserpine (near Airlie beach) mid october. I'm a certified diver and I'd dearly love to do some diving on this trip but haven't got much money to splash. I already looked into volunteering on a dive boat with no success so I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions, in particular if they have seen good standby rates available? I'd love to get to Yongala, thats my dream for this trip but I think the daytrips aren't great value as I need to be taken with a guide (less than 15 dives). If I could do my advanced while I was there, even better!
      Any suggestions?

• relocating for study

by marta231 Online Now Jun 14, 2005 at 6:52 PM

Hey all,

From melbourne here, needing a complete climate change so i've opted for Townsville to spend the next few years studying law at JCU. Just curious as what the town is like in terms of climate, beaches and nightlife for young people. Oh, any tips on JCU would be helpful too...

Thanks,

Marta

3 Answers Dec 11, 2006 at 6:11 PM
    • grahamNI's Profile Photo

Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by grahamNI Online Now May 27, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Flying up from Sydney on Nov 18/19............... just wondered if Townsville/Magnetic Island is the best destination?

I could arrange flights up to Coffs Harbour, Rockhampton etc. etc.

All we want is a nice 5 day break in the sunshine and to really chill out, after a hectic couple of weeks in Sydney, Melbourne and Alice!

Thanks for past replies too! Will look forward to Annes findings on trips to the reef.

Any web site ideas? Prefer an apartment, (4 of us travelling, all adults).

14 Answers Jun 29, 2005 at 3:21 AM
    • macman2004uk's Profile Photo

Townsville Hotels/Motels

by macman2004uk Online Now Apr 17, 2005 at 10:09 AM

Hi everyone:
      My 2006 OZ vacatation is fast approaching, I am looking to see if anyone knows of good reasonable priced Hotel/Motel, accomadation in Townsville, Queensland, around early February 2006. This is my first visit to OZ, myself and my friend, touring up from Sydney to Cairns?

Thanks John Mac
      United Kingdom
      17 April 2006
      18:06hrs GMT.

• Nude Beaches

by Marsketa Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 11:36 PM

I'm heading up North this September/ October on a holiday. I am a naturist and was wondering if you know of any nude beaches in the Townsville area? I heard there might be one on Magnetic Island.

3 Answers Sep 6, 2004 at 11:19 PM
    • Paul2001's Profile Photo

Is there still such a place

by Paul2001 Online Now Apr 4, 2004 at 12:47 PM

Here is an odd little question. Many years ago I ate and drank at a place in Townsville called the Speakeasy Hotel. I was build a tip about the place but I think that it is either gone or has changed its name to the Seaview Hotel which is also located in the same area on the Strand. Anybody know of these places? Hopefully some local will be able to help.

1 Answer Jul 21, 2004 at 4:22 AM
    • gabyne's Profile Photo

Anybody in Townsville on Jan. 27th?

by gabyne Online Now Jan 12, 2004 at 7:03 AM

Hi there, I will arrive in Townsville on Jan. 27th in the morning and have the whole day to spend before I leave in the evening for a diving cruise to Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. I would love to go to the Billabong Sanctuary during the day - anybody else there to join up? Does anybody know how to get there - by public bus etc. - or is it better to do an "organised" tour? Thanks a lot, Gaby

1 Answer Jan 12, 2004 at 2:16 PM
    • Dani_aus's Profile Photo

where's a tropical rain forrest?

by Dani_aus Online Now Oct 16, 2003 at 8:12 PM

I live in brisbane, we have some sub-tropical rain forrests that i just love walking through, i have heard there are tropical rain forrests in north queensland, and i would like to go to one to see the difference between sub tropical and tropical,. hope that made sense.... if you know of any close to townsville, could you let me know please :) :) thanks heaps.

13 Answers Oct 28, 2003 at 4:29 AM
    • Dani_aus's Profile Photo

what can i do???

by Dani_aus Online Now Oct 16, 2003 at 8:08 PM

i have just come back to brisbane from a week in townsville, i am going back for another week this tuesday.... it was quite windy last week there. do you think it will be windy next week too? i have been to reef HQ, i plan to go back, i thought it was better than underwaterworld on the sunny coast... i went to maggie island, but i want to go snorkling if its not windy... what other stuff could i do during the week there???

1 Answer Oct 18, 2003 at 8:13 AM
    • Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Great stuff to see near Townsville?

by Kate-Me Online Now Sep 4, 2003 at 10:33 PM

Hi. Wondering if somebody could give me an idea of the very best things you've found to see in the Townsville area, as I'm heading up that way in late September. thanks in advance! Kate

6 Answers Jun 24, 2004 at 5:05 AM