Townsville Travel Answers

change location
Miss_1984's Profile Photo

Moving To Townsville from SA

by Miss_1984 Online Now Dec 28, 2006 at 10:43 PM

Im thinking of moving to Townsville from Adelaide, but have not yet been there.... would like some first hand advice from the locals on what kind of place it is, what sorts of shops there are and other facilities.. I have a 2 year old son and I am a single mum, aged 22. Would like a fresh start and get to know some new people and raise my son in a good environment...what are the 'better' suburbs to live in and what is the employment like up there? i would love to gain employment in art/photography... thanks guys. Cheers! xx

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • lou31's Profile Photo

RE: Moving To Townsville from SA

by lou31 Online Now Dec 29, 2006 at 5:16 AM

I don't come from Townsville but my family all live there. It is about 4.5 hours drive from here and I try to get up there once a year. How do you describe Townsville?

In one word.....HOT!
    In summer it is very very hot and humid and it hardly ever rains up there! Hence the surrounding countryside is mostly brown and dry.
    Very large town...small city?...take your pick.
    The town is actually quite spread out. It is a well planned town with a good pro active council.
    It is also an army town. The Lavarack Barracks are situated within the city and this has a certain impact on life in Townsville.
    The main attraction is what they call the Strand. The town is built on the coast some years ago they did up the esplanade. Nice place to spend the day and escape the heat.
    Have a look at my Townsville page to get a better idea of what the place is like.
    If you have any questions email me and I'll do my best to answer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Stippleeffect's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Moving To Townsville from SA

by Stippleeffect Online Now Dec 31, 2006 at 5:43 AM

Nearby Magnetic Island is a nice place to visit, I got the impression that a lot of locals use it as a bolt-hole/get-away...its only a small island but veru beautiful and scenic.

• Re: Moving To Townsville from SA

by catharry Online Now Jul 3, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Hi,

We are also moving to Townsville from brisbane... never been there either but have been told this isnt uncommon. We have a 4y/o girl & 1y/o son so i have been asking around, apart from being told it v/hot i have heard nothing but great stuff. Spoke to real estate agent today about rentals and she suggests annadale, riverside gardens aitkenvale as all really nice places/family orientated to live. Also I had a look at the chamber of commerce website too. Hope any of this helps.

Amanda

• Re: Moving To Townsville from SA

by trixta73 Online Now Dec 20, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Hi, We are thinking of moving to Townsville in the very near future. I was wondering if anyone could give us some advise. We have a three year old boy. My husband is a deisel mechanic and i work in retail. I was wondering about availability of childcare. As well as average prices for rental/house prices. I have loved the pics I gave seen of the place and miss living near the beach. I have been told by certain people that the hot weather there is unbearable. How ever it has to be better than the cold/hot weather of Adelaide. Plus I am hoping we will climatise over time. Any info would be appreciated, Cheers, Vick

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines