Townsville Travel Answers

change location
grahamNI's Profile Photo

Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by grahamNI Online Now May 27, 2005 at 10:02 AM

Flying up from Sydney on Nov 18/19............... just wondered if Townsville/Magnetic Island is the best destination?

I could arrange flights up to Coffs Harbour, Rockhampton etc. etc.

All we want is a nice 5 day break in the sunshine and to really chill out, after a hectic couple of weeks in Sydney, Melbourne and Alice!

Thanks for past replies too! Will look forward to Annes findings on trips to the reef.

Any web site ideas? Prefer an apartment, (4 of us travelling, all adults).

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • millablake's Profile Photo

RE: Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by millablake Online Now May 28, 2005 at 10:37 PM

Townsville is okay, but probably not the best for chilling out. It is an army town... quite raucous if you dont know the good places to go. Also, the beaches are not for swimming because of jellyfish so you will have to travel a bit. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

i have no information on Magnetic Island... QLD is very beautiful though, there are so many tropical paradise places you can choose from.

enjoy yourself!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by Anne12 Online Now May 29, 2005 at 12:20 AM

Have you been to Fraser Island?
    It has resort accom. You would need a 4x4 to go there.I haven't been there for a few years,I loved it.

Anne:)

• grahamNI's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by grahamNI Online Now May 29, 2005 at 5:23 AM

HI, I have not been to Fraser Island. Ive only ever been as far north as Bribane previously!

I like the idea of Magnetic Island ok, its just that its a fair way up north and we will have been travelling a good deal in the days prior to returning to Sydney.
    I looked on the map and places like Coffs Harbour and Bryon Bay looked interesing and a full hour closer by air.

Byron seems very laid back........... and I can check out accom. on wotif.com too!
    Coffs Harbour looks great too, all those beaches and the marina!

Looks like a night will be spent at Sydney airport as we dont get back from Alice Springs until almost 5pm.

I even explored the possibility of train travel, but it would have us arriving at Coffs H. at 1am! so not really a great idea!

Cant understand the JetStar fare of only A£138 return from Sydney to Coffs H. Seems to be almost too much of a good thing. Are Jetstar ok?.......... I dont mind budget airlines as we have our own here in the UK and they are, by and large, a good thing!

We may even fly up north and drive back as I want my friends to see the Hunter Valley etc. and this would / should be possible if travelling south from Byron or Coffs!

Thanks once again, Graham.

• RE: RE: Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by Anne12 Online Now May 29, 2005 at 2:13 PM

Good Aussie morning to you....

Byron is a great place. Some nice drives around that area.

Jetstar is fine. They are known for being VERY strict on the time you arrive. Just be there when they say.

You are going to have one hell of a trip :)

Only 3 more sleeps and I will be in the land of cocktails....:)

Anne

by grahamNI Online Now May 29, 2005 at 4:58 PM

HI Anne, thanks for that. Its almost 1am here, thankfully tomorrow/today is a bank holiday in the UK, so NO work!

I will take your advice on Jetstar, its an amazing price and Im pretty sure that it will be warm enough for us Poms, esp. coming from the cool/cold northern winter!

I really want to finish off this visit to Australia in Sydney. I did much the same a couple of years ago and had just the best time there. We fly up to Singapore for an overnighter and then off to see and old friend in Hanoi for a few days.

Where are you having your cocktails, btw?

Where ever it is , enjoy them and have a super time.

Thanks, Graham.

by Anne12 Online Now May 29, 2005 at 5:32 PM

Graham, There are many places in Port Douglas that serve cocktails. Where ever I am at approx 5pm that's where I shall start...:)
    A place named On the Inlet is where you go for their *special deal* glass of wine a bucket of prawns and watch the sunset.
    My favourite place for dinner is the Salsa Bar and Grill.....The cocktails are fantastic and the food is just wonderful.

Ain't life grand!

Anne

• RE: Townsville/Magnetic Island or further south?

by sueberry Online Now Jun 6, 2005 at 11:24 PM

Hi

I have been to Townsville on 2 separate occasions and have a great time, found plenty of nice resturants, the people are friendly. If you like sailing every Wednesday night at the Townsville Yacht Club you can go sailing which is a nice way to see Townsville at sunset. We stayed both times a Mariners North which is at the Marina. The apartments are very nice 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom full kitchen Air Condition and with in walking distance of the CBD and the Strand, very popular place to go. If you have a car you can do a drive up to Mission Beach, (about 2.00Hr drive)there is heaps to look and see along the way.

You will not be disappointed if you go the Townsville.

Sue Berry

• pjdubai's Profile Photo

by pjdubai Online Now Jun 6, 2005 at 11:38 PM

Magnetic Island is excellent!! Not as touristy as some of the other islands, and more affordable than many also. A great place to soak up some rays, have a few quiet drinks, or zoom around in a mini moke. There is also a great walk up to the old WW2 fort. Some of the beaches have protective netting around them also. I would highly recommend it.

Rockhampton is not really a very happening place. I love it there but many of my friends live there. The beaches at yeppoon (1/2 hour from Rocky) are not as nice as some further up or down the coast and it gets a bit windy.

If you would like to chill out somewhere nice you might want to consider Ferns Hideaway about an hours drive outside of Rockhampton. These are great cabins in the middle of rainforest. They are well seperated from each other and there is a pool, tennis court, canoeing, etc. Not a resort by any means but a great place to kick back. Bring your own food or eat in the excellent restaurant.

Townsville is a fun town for partying but not a great place to kick back and relax. Fraser island is expensive but nice....can't swim there though. Airlie Beach can be fun but is very touristy and at this time of year can be a bit chilly. Hervy Bay is lovely. It's a sleepy seaside town but still has everything you need for a fun time.

What ever you decide I hope you have fun.

by grahamNI Online Now Jun 7, 2005 at 5:52 AM

As ever, many thanks for the replies. It all confirms one thing for sure.......... I need to start planning Australia 2006............

Im not sure if its good or bad that it is at the other side of the world from us.... makes you appreciate the beauty and special feel of the place, no doubt........ still, it would be great if it was just a little closer!

Next time I would like to start off in Perth and proceed from there......... so little time, so much to do!

Thanks once again,

Graham.

• lou31's Profile Photo

by lou31 Online Now Jun 11, 2005 at 8:29 PM

I think you could do better than Townsville. Though Magnetic Island is nice. In November the heat up there would be unbearable. It get seriously hot and humid in T'ville and it is not asthetically pleasing. Dry and spread out.
    Have you thought of Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays?

by grahamNI Online Now Jun 12, 2005 at 1:16 PM

hi Lou, good advice, so we have decided on Coffs Harbour........... much closer to Sydney.............. and more importantly, not so hot and humid................. all booked for the Sebel Aqualuna.

Looking forward to it all, ticking off the days!

Thanks once again,
    Graham.

• lou31's Profile Photo

by lou31 Online Now Jun 13, 2005 at 7:18 AM

Don't forget to pack the camera and take heaps of pics...have a great time.

by tvl05 Online Now Jun 16, 2005 at 12:22 AM

Hi Graham, I'm glad to read you've decided where to go (Coffs Harbour). But can I put my 20c / 20p into the debate. Maybe not for you now you've decided where you want to go, but maybe for someone else reading this forum.

I'm presuming you're from the N'thern hemisphere, so the weather (humidity) would be a factor. However, off QLD and not NSW is the GBR, which is one place people want to visit.

Coffs is also more touristy than Maggie Island. I should also mention both Townsville and Coffs do have tourist associations people can contact for information on the regions via the web.

Also, the idea Townsville/Maggie is too hot really doesn't hold when you can find accomodation that has acons. And if you're only going to be in an area for a short period that shouldn't be a problem.

Besides, 1.5hrs north of Townsville is Mt Spec (1000 mtres- 3000ft above sea level).

At this point I should say in the past I was a tourims volunteer for Townsville.

Anyway, Graham enjoy your stay in Au.

Ross

by grahamNI Online Now Jun 29, 2005 at 3:21 AM

Hi Ross, thanks for that and sorry for the delay in replying, Ive just arrived back in the UK from a couple of very cold weeks in the Falkland Islands!

I will need many more holidays in Australia, no doubt about it .
    Cheers,
    GRaham.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines