Townsville Travel Answers

change location
Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Great stuff to see near Townsville?

by Kate-Me Online Now Sep 4, 2003 at 10:33 PM

Hi. Wondering if somebody could give me an idea of the very best things you've found to see in the Townsville area, as I'm heading up that way in late September. thanks in advance! Kate

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Waoife's Profile Photo

Re: Great stuff to see near Townsville?

by Waoife Online Now Sep 5, 2003 at 2:26 AM

Magnetic Island is only a short boat trip away and the aquarium in town is quite good too.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chris_i79's Profile Photo

by chris_i79 Online Now Sep 5, 2003 at 6:13 AM

I agree Magnetic Island is fantastic, you can rent mokes and explore the island, there is a koala park and many really nice beaches. When I was there I was able to rent jet skis and go all the way around the island which was really cool. I know there are hostels on the island as well. Also if you are a diver the Yongola wreck dive is supposed to be one of the best in the area. Enjoy

• australia2's Profile Photo

by australia2 Online Now Sep 5, 2003 at 5:28 PM

You'll see plenty of your friends (?) the cane toads. The view from the top of Castle Hill is very good. Apart from what has been already mentioned plus the new beachfront complex along The Strand I think Townsville is not placed for great tourist attractions. Because The Great Dividing Range has a gap there it doesn't have the tropical nature of further north. Laurie.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

by iandsmith Online Now Sep 7, 2003 at 5:58 AM

My nephew's Subway outlets ( I always get free food)! More seriously, I can recommend Magnetic Island, it's so different from all the other Great Barrier Reef Islands. Try it for a contrast. And, what are you doing up there while I'm down in your territory? Cheers, Ian

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

by Kate-Me Online Now Sep 11, 2003 at 8:29 PM

Hey, thanks a lot for the reviews and good ideas everone! I really appreciate it. Kate

• Re: Re: Great stuff to see near Townsville?

by Marsketa Online Now Jun 24, 2004 at 5:05 AM

I heard there was a nude beach on Magnetic Island at Horseshoe Bay. Does anyone know if this is true as I am heading up north in September/ October and am looking specifically for unofficial nude beaches.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines