Toulouse Travel Answers

change location

Anyone got any up-to-date information on how to get from Toulouse airport to Carcassonne? for 2013

by ClarieM Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Hi - I can only find, despite 'Google search' with 2013, older posts of about 2009-2010! Does anyone please have any more up-to-date information for this year, 2013, please?! Many thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Anyone got any up-to-date information on how to get from Toulouse airport to Carcassonne? for 2013

by leics Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM

You can see information in English about transport from the airport to the centre of Toulouse here:

toulouse.aeroport.fr/en/airp...

I think taking the bus to Toulouse Matabieu railway station and then the train to Carcassonne would be the cheapest option, although I'll check for a bus from Toulouse to Carcassonne.

You can find train times and details in English on the excellent:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

If you want fares as well, use the official French railway website in French:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Don't choose English: it will take you to Raileurope, a ticketing agency which does not list all departures and charges admin fees.

There are trains roughly hourly (more frequently at some times) and journey time is from around 40 minutes. One-way fare from 15.60 euro.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Anyone got any up-to-date information on how to get from Toulouse airport to Carcassonne? for 2013

by cubsur Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Some of the trains on this route are regional trains for which you cannot reserve tickets or buy in advance. For TGV you must reserve in advance, for Intercités trains it is advisable but not compulsory.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

There is a shuttle bus from the Toulouse airport to the train station. It's very easy to do. Then just get a local train ticket to Carcassonne. The station in Carcassonne is right downtown so you can walk to your hotel if you plan well. I wouldn't mess with a bus because the train is so convenient. It's all well marked and if you head in the wrong direction, someone will help you. Toulouse is very friendly.

Enjoy your trip.

• Re: Anyone got any up-to-date information on how to get from Toulouse airport to Carcassonne? for 2013

by ClarieM Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks to all for your kind up-to-date help!

• Re: Anyone got any up-to-date information on how to get from Toulouse airport to Carcassonne? for 2013

by ClarieM Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Thanks again! I hear 'people are friendly' at Toulouse but my French is so very 'rusty'! Any sign-posting in English? (I will try & 'brush up' my French a little though!) Haven't bn. to France for many years but seem to recall few people speak English.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I can't remember if there are signs in English, but you really only need to know the word navette which means bus and the names of the places you want to go. There is an information desk in the airport and they speak excellent English. Most younger people speak some English and if you had school French you'll be ahead of many. Once we were ready to get on the wrong bus in Toulouse and a man who spoke no English spotted our luggage and quickly helped us get on the correct bus. They watch out for people. Just remember merci if you get rescued. ;^)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Take a small phrasebook/dictionary with you (the Berlitz series is pocket-sized, cheap and effective). That way you can look up signs, items on menus etc etc and refresh your rusty French!

The BBC website is also excellent for a bit of refreshment before you go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines