Tórshavn Travel Answers

change location

One Day in Torshavn, Sept. 1, 2011

by clinda Online Now May 3, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Hi,
My friends and I will be arriving into the port of Torshavn for a one day visit. Our ship arrives 7AM and departs 5PM. I know there is alot of beautiful scenery to see and I was hoping someone could give us some guidance.

I have read about the Bird Cliffs and I know they sponsor a tour from the ship here. Does anyone know if this is a difficult trip for someone using a cane? I just had hip surgery and would love to see the cliffs they mention, but I am afraid if it is too rough I will injure my hip.

Can you hire a taxi or van to take you on a land tour to see the cliffs and other scenery?

What other suggestions would you give for this amount of time in Torshavn? I understand all of the islands offer beauty, but any special places you can tell me about?

Also, unfortunately to some, I love to shop! I look for items that are unique to the place I am visiting, along with T-shirts, post cards and such for the little ones at home. Any suggestions?

I am hoping to be able to do some walking and wonder if it is easy enough to get around the town from the pier.

I would appreciate any info that you can give me. I can't wait to arrive.

Thank-you, Linda

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: One Day in Torshavn, Sept. 1, 2011

by angiebabe Online Now May 3, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Hi, I went on the ferry from the Shetland Islands which was either only have a day or 2 till the next ferry onwards but loved it so much I decided to stay for a week until the ferry after that! I did a number of daily tours which were excellent - so I would recommend doing that - Im sure I came across the tours from the tourist office thats in town just off where the boats land

I would recommend go there as soon as opens - or check the windows for any tour info - or brochures on your ship! - so that you can do a day tour - there were some that were not later than 4pm - while you are waiting there are a number of lovely old houses to stroll around and see behind the tourist office and main street - with grass roofs etc.

The tourist office also had good tshirts and souvenir of the Faroes - I didnt resist a few things, especially puffin things (and that reminds me there is a trip across the harbour to the small island there that included a visit to a puffin stuffer!) despite the FAroes being much more expensive for most things - but a special place to see what you can

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines