change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Trekking the W route in late April

by VickyM14 Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Hi,
      I am a solo traveller looking to trek the W route from 24-28th April and wanted to ask if it is best to book refugios in advance? Many of them seem to have finished for the season (or floes on the 30April) and it's hard to see what I will need to book. Do you think it is possible to book everything in Puerto Natales? Or is it better to book some in advance and risk only a few? I am happy to camp if that is the only option but would prefer a basic bed if possible.

Also this is at the beginning of a three moth trip and I will have a very large travel ruck sack. Is there somewhere where you can store bags before entering the park?

Help and tips much appreciated especially from anyone who has done this trip solo.
      Thanks! Vicky

more
    • Trekking the W route in late April

by VickyM14 Online Now Apr 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Hi,
      I am a solo traveller looking to trek the W route from 24-28th April and wanted to ask if it is best to book refugios in advance? Many of them seem to have finished for the season (or floes on the 30April) and it's hard to see what I will need to book. Do you think it is possible to book everything in Puerto Natales? Or is it better to book some in advance and risk only a few? I am happy to camp if that is the only option but would prefer a basic bed if possible.

Also this is at the beginning of a three moth trip and I will have a very large travel ruck sack. Is there somewhere where you can store bags before entering the park?

Help and tips much appreciated especially from anyone who has done this trip solo.
      Thanks! Vicky

2 Answers Apr 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    • Zbig58's Profile Photo

Accesibility

by Zbig58 Online Now Mar 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Hi
      We are going to spend 3-4 Easter days in TDP (18 - 20/21 April). Is it possible to see best places (glacier, Torres etc. ) without long hiking (driving a car), in such short time. We would like to stay in the Puerto Natales, rent a car and jump to the Park every day. Does it make sense?

3 Answers Mar 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    • Glacier Grey Ice Hike - timing?

by MlleElizabeth Online Now Feb 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Hello,

I am planning on doing the ice hike on Glacier Grey at the beginning of April. I will be staying at Mountain Lodge Grey the night before and will leave for the hike from there. I am wondering what the typical timing of the hike is? I hope to do the hike and then trek down to Paine Grande to spend the night there. Is it possible to do the ice hike and then trek down to Paine Grande all in one day?

The next day I will take the boat across lake Pehoe to Pudeto and then a bus to exit the park.

Thank you!
      Elizabeth

1 Answer Feb 8, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    • How to get from Refugio Grey to Punta Arenas?

by MlleElizabeth Online Now Feb 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Hello,

I am going to be in Torres Del Paine at the very beginning of April. How do I get from Refugio Grey to Punta Arenas using busses and how long should it take? Would I have to take a Ferry down Lago Grey first? I have an entire day to get there, my flight out of Arenas is at 1:50PM the next day.

Thank you!
      Elizabeth

1 Answer Feb 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    • storyin's Profile Photo

From Refugio Chileno to Lodge Paine Grand

by storyin Online Now Jan 17, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Hello!
      I am very happy I can visit Torres del Paine again!

Now I have a question:

I need to go to "Lodge Paine Grand" from "Refugio Chileno" in one day,
      and I do not want to get there by hiking, it is a too long way for me.
      Any other option?
      Is that possible to get there by bus and boat?

Thanks so much in advance~~~

1 Answer Jan 18, 2014 at 3:57 AM
    • Laptops while hiking the ¨W¨ and O trails

by ejoyce222 Online Now Dec 23, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Hi,

A friend of mine is moving to Patagonia for a few months but is hiking in Torres right when she gets there...She is wondering if there is a place at the start of the W and O hikes where you can keep laptops or other valuables while hiking. Any lockers or places like that at the start of the hike? Or is it common for backbackers to just take everything with them on their backs? Thanks!

2 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    • Towers hike...and more sights throughout park without a car

by ejoyce222 Online Now Dec 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM

My aunt and I are spending a day in Torres del Paine in January. I plan to do the day hike to the towers for 7-8 hours but what would be something she could do while i'm hiking. We won't have a car so are there ways for her to get around the park to see the other lakes and viewpoints that don't require a lot of hiking? For example, are there collectivos or taxis in the park or small shuttles that take you from one point to the next??

3 Answers Dec 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    • Refugio Grey to Puerto Natales in one day?

by nadigri Online Now Oct 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Hey, I have 9 days for Santiago- TDP national park- Santiago as my flight is going back on the 9th day. Therefore I need to be in Puerto Natales in the evening of my 8th day (2nd of december). I am planning to start in TDP and then to do half of the circuit (Serron, Perros etc). on my 8th day I would like to go from Grey to Paine Grande in the morning, taking the boat at 12:30 and the bus to puerto Natales in the evening. Is that possible? I read that trekking from Grey to Paine Grande takes four hours. So if I would start early in the morning at around 7 I could be at Paine Grande in time to get the boat. Is that true?

• Transportation around Torres del Paine when NOT on a tour

by ME1109 Online Now Sep 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Does anyone have experience traveling from El Calafate to TDP when you are not with a tour group? We thought about renting a car but the fees and bother of it seem too extensive...not to mention leaving it at $130 a day in a parking lot. We are doing the W but are not sure where the buses drop off and then we would need one to take us back to El Calafate at the end of the W. We plan to give ourselves 4 days to do the W and skip Glacier Grey at the end of it if we run out of time. Is the only way out the catamaran? or does a bus pick up from Lodge Grande. We were also hoping to do some kayaking for a few hours at the end of the W (which end?) but I cannot figure out from the websites, which end of the W these companies are located on. Does anyone have information on hopping on buses around TDP, where they run from, and how consistently they run?

What are thoughts on spending some time doing a kayaking trip in TDP after the W versus heading up to El Chalten and doing more hiking, biking, and horseback riding? We like all these things equally and have to fly out of El Calafate so the trek up to El Chalten would not be too far out of the way.

Thanks! I feel lost in the Patagonia wilderness already!

1 Answer Sep 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    • jeffarenas's Profile Photo

What kind of tent to use in TDP & Fitz Roy November ?

by jeffarenas Online Now Sep 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM

i'm ruling it down to these three because they seem appropriate but are also very cheap.. i leave in a month and need to get one asap but am unsure which is the better tent for the conditions i'll be in.

three days in Monte Fitz Region and then 10 days doing the Full circuit Torres. i'll be lugging around movie film equipment whcih is bulky + my pack hence the two person tent.

1) Darche Hornet 2 person tent

wildearth.com.au/buy/…1571

2) Darche Cumulus 2 person ten

wildearth.com.au/buy/…508015...

Black wolf Cocoon tent.

3)ebay.com.au/itm/BLACK-WOLF-C...

any feedback would incredibly helpful!

4 Answers Sep 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    • Getting from Refugio Grey to Punta Arenas in 1 day?

by BosselMief Online Now Aug 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Hi,

I`m leaving with my wife for TDP mid October this year and to make the most of our trip we would like to add in a day of ice hiking after completing the W-circuit from Chileno to Grey. It would imply though that we need to be able to get from Refugio Grey to Punta Arenas in one full day as our plane leaves the next morning at 06h40.

Anyone knows if that is possible at all? Assuming website info is accurate (Pacheco) there are buses leaving for Punta Arenas from Puerto Natales until 19h30 in the evening but I`m not sure we can get there in time.

Thanks a lot!

1 Answer Aug 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    • Torres del Paine from P. Natales vs. Calafate?

by jrobb21 Online Now Jun 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Hello folks,

My girlfriend and I are planning a ~2.5 week trip to Southern Patagonia in late December-early January and wanted to get some feedback and also see if we could get some questions answered. We are both very fit hikers and plan to split nights camping and then in two refugios or just simply camp. Proposed itinerary below.

Dec 26 - Fly to Santiago (vs. Buenos Aires)
      Dec 27 - Fly to Punta Arenas (vs. Calafate) - take late afternoon bus to Puerto Natales (vs. spending night in Calafate)
      Dec. 28 - Take bus to Torres del Paine (???private tour bus directly from Calafate)
      Dec. 29-31 hike the W
      Jan 1 - Take bus back to P. Natales (vs. ???getting back on a private tour bus to Calafate)
      Jan 2 - Take bus from P. Natales to Calafate, then take late afternoon bus to El Chalten
      Jan 3-4 (maybe 5) - Hike around the El Chalten/Fitz Roy area
      Jan 5 - Bus BACK to Calafate for a flight to Bariloche
      Jan 6-9 - Relax around Bariloche area
      Jan 10 - Fly Bariloche to B.A. and then back to Boston

Major questions:
      (1) Does anybody have first- or secondhand experience with these private tour operators that take DAYtrips from Calafate to Torres del Paine?
      -It is my understanding that they are expensive tours, but if we are able to by round trip flights to Buenos Aires than it might be significantly cheaper than going one-way the entire time (Boston - Santiago - P. Arenas - Bariloche - Buenos Aires) and thus offset that cost

(2) Is this trip doable as I have described above?
      -We appreciate how hectic the initial part of the trip is - lots of bus travel - but I am having a hard time reconciling going to Torres and then NOT going to El Chalten while we are down there...We thought jam-packing them in in the beginning of the trip and then having a few days at the end to relax and eat chocolate in Bariloche would be a reasonable way to shape the trip. The specific questions surround whether we would be able to:
      -Take a bus from P. Natales to Calafate and then get to El Chalten that same day
      -Take a bus from El Chalten to Calafate and catch a flight to Bariloche that same day

Again, the above describes two possible itineraries: one is the traditional way of getting to Torres and then wrapping around to Argentina; the other is whether we can directly get to Torres from Calafate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks.

2 Answers Nov 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    • Camping in April

by moktarm Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

We're 2 experienced trekkers planning to do the O circuit in mid April, bringing all our own gear and camping as much as possible. Are the free campsites open for use year round (or until end of April at least)?

• refugio reservations

by jtakpark Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I'm planning to hike the W in Torre del Paine this September. However, reservations for the refugios are not possible through the 'Fantastico Sur' and 'Vertice' online sites. Are the refugios already booked up? Are there any other way to find vacancy? Thank you.

3 Answers Feb 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    • Trail Closure Time

by cnqanh Online Now Jan 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I am doing the W circuit at the end of February. And found some information about trail closure time from CONAF.
      parquetorresdelpaine.cl/deta...

Anyone knows what is trail closure time? Does it mean no trekking the trail during that time or no park ranger during that time on the trail? Here is trail closure for this trail:
      12:00 hrs Campamento Italiano - Campamento Británico
      As I am planning to trek from Refugio Los Cuernos to Campamento Italiano, then leave my big backpack there then continue to French Valley, then return on the same day later to Campamento Italiano and head to Lodge Paine Grande. Is it ok to leave the pack there? Will the park ranger help to store the pack?

Thanks alot.

• 6 days 5 nights in TDP...short circuit or W trek

by tmiddled01 Online Now Jan 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Hi all,

In a couple of weeks, my wife and I will be doing a multi-day trek in Torres del Paine. I have been researching into hike times very closely, and am very torn between doing the cicuit and the W.

My question is for those that have done the entire circuit. Now if we get bad weather during the hike, and have to wait at John Gardner pass or something, we are going to have to skip Valle de Frances, and maye (although hope not) los Torres. Would those that have done the circuit say that these are the two best parts? i.e. if you could do the "W" OR a "short" circuit without those two legs, which would you choose?

Our other option is to take the W easy, and say go to Valle del Silencio, do one of the other hikes in the park (laguna verde, laguna azul, Sarmiento etc.). Can anyone who has done any treks that are NOT in the circuit or the W comment on the quality of these? Are they worthwile, or just second to those views encountered in the circuit?

Thanks in advance.
      Tom

• only 3 nights in torres del paine

by kathleen2416 Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I have only a short time at TDP--3 nights max in December. Can anyone give me a suggested itinerary--trekking routes and refugios to stay in? And is it necessary to book refugios in advance? I am coming from Calafate and will probably take one of the transports that take me directly to Guarderia Amarga.
      Thanks!

3 Answers Nov 10, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    • MaayanS's Profile Photo

Is this a good plan for the W trek?

by MaayanS Online Now Nov 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hey!

We're a couple of 27 year old girls not really experienced in trekking,
      so it was important for us to get your opinion on out trek plan.

The trek is 4 days long:
      Day 1 - Departure from Puerto Natales in the morning, arriving at the park, going up to the torres observation spot and comming back to sleep in Torres Central.
      Day 2 - From Torres Central walk west to the Italian camp.
      Day 3 - From the Italian camp, to the French Valley, then south to Refugio Paine Grande.
      Day 4 - From Paine Grande to Glacier Grey, back, and then a ferry ride to Pudeto and bus to Natales on the same day.

1. Are the walking distances and times planned for each day reasonable? Including the bus transport? (According to the park map it looks like at most nine hours walking a day - does it makes sense to walk so much every day?)
      2. We are considering whether to sleep in the lodges (really expensive!) or in a tent we'll hire from Natales. We never really slept in a tent before and we are afraid it will be too hard for us. What do you recommend? We thought we could sleep two nights in a tent and one night in a lodge?

Thank you!

3 Answers Nov 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    • Meals at Refugios

by jeanettealso Online Now Oct 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Do I need to pay in advance for meals at Refugios? We are uncertain about our exact hiking dates and don't want to have to rush from place to place if we feel like checking something out.
      Thanks
      Jeanette

4 Answers Oct 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    • yyaari's Profile Photo

Hiking the circuit in December

by yyaari Online Now Sep 8, 2012 at 4:35 AM

We are a group of 6 that plan to hike the circuit in the beginning of December. Please add any hint you think usable. I know the weather is problematic. Is beginning of December worsens the problem?

Regarding food, I heard in one place you have to carry it with you, at least for the non-W part. Still in another place they say you can buy it in the refuigios on the way (though it is expensive). Any information? which specific refugios has food to buy?

Many thanks,
      Yaakov

2 Answers Sep 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    • New to Torres Del Paine - need idea

by sap_lees Online Now Mar 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I'll arrive from 12 - 18 April in P Arenas. I prefer to see Glacier (if possible without Trekking) but back to P Natales every day and only sight seeing (incl. to be close to the Glacier/iceberg of e.g. Grey, P Moreno, Balmaceda or Serrano). Is this a right way to spend 5 days in South patagonia? or should I take a trek? Thanks in advance. regards, William (Note: any special offer for tour package during April/Easter shoulder season)?

2 Answers May 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    • Specific Torres Del Paine advice needed

by seamet Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Looking to do the W circuit, or a version thereof, in March. However, Chileno, both refugio and campsite, is sold out for the entire month.

My questions are:

a) Can I get from Refugio Torre Norte up to the Torres lookout and back in a day's hike? I'm young and fit, but not an expert trekker. I would be prepared to leave very early to give myself plenty of daylight.

b) If I can't do that, can I get far enough up the path to get a good view of the towers?

c) Is there any alternative accommodation to Chileno? I'd be prepared to pay a reasonable sum. Say US$100.

d) Given the recent fires, if I wanted to cut part of the circuit off, which bit would be wisest?

Thanks.

2 Answers Feb 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    • Tour Guide Recommendations

by katyaytak Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Hi,
      I'm looking to do a multi-day group hiking trip through Torres del Paine and Fitzroy. Looking for something basic - nothing technical, moderate to strenuous hiking, 7-15 days. Travelling alone. Any recommendations on tour companies?

Thanks a bunch!

2 Answers Dec 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    • Appropriate clothes for January hiking trip-Torres Del Paine/Bariloche

by Tullynisk Online Now Nov 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM

My husband & I hope to visit Torres del Paine mid-January 2011 & are not sure what weather conditions/temperatures to expect. Is it "shorts & t-shirt" or "merino-wool-layers" weather? Would really appreciate any guidance. We also intend visiting Bariloche on same trip & equally confused as to appropriate attire. Thanks

4 Answers Dec 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    • Maria81's Profile Photo

Driving in Torres del Paine

by Maria81 Online Now Nov 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Hello guys,

We're going to be travelling to Chile in February and Torres del Paine is part of the itinerary - staying for 4 days. Altghough we're planning to do a few hikes, I was wondering if there's a driveable road through the park as well which allows you to stop at different points?

I've read somewhere that there is a route where you enter the park from one place and go around it to exit through another entrance but I can't find any more details. Any suggestions???

thanks a lot!

18 Answers Jan 8, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    • Blind hiker in TDP-W

by davidhiker Online Now Nov 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

My wife is blind. She hikes in lots of places and conditions.
      Her biggest challenge is trails with lots of rocks.
      Can anyone who has hiked TDP-W give an idea of the trail conditions?
      Obviously some of the trails will be rocky in some places but how much?
      Are certain sections of the W more rocky than others?
      How would you like doing it with your eyes closed?

3 Answers Nov 14, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    • Campsite reservation

by KittyWu Online Now Oct 24, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm planing a trip to TDP in the middle of January. Since this is the time when basically everyone is going there I was wondering what happens if you don't have a reservation for one of the campsites. Do they send you away? And where? I've read somewhere here, that it is recommended to book a camping spot in advance and I think I'm going to do that (or can I get a spot without that?), however how does it work with those campsites that work on a first come first serve basis? Do they also have limited space? And what happens if I'm standing in the middle of nowhere, not being allowed to camp in the wilderness and without a place to stay? Does anyone have experience with that? Thanks a lot for any help.

7 Answers Oct 24, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    • lokiito94's Profile Photo

about TDP

by lokiito94 Online Now Oct 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Hi everyone ! Do they sell hot food at the refugios in the 'W' trek?? Thank you =]

3 Answers Oct 6, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Campsites at TDP

by lokiito94 Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Quick ques. Is it allowed to light camp fires at campsites and refugios?

Thank you. Andre

1 Answer Sep 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM

About TDP

by lokiito94 Online Now Jul 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Hi everyone, i have a quiry about the camp sites in TDP "W" trek. Are all camp sites the same or are some worse than others [worse as in weather, terrain, altitude, popularity- is it full all the time, etc. I'm going end of year so it will be summer and im guessing theres going to be alot of people. I appreciate any help.

Andre

6 Answers Aug 1, 2011 at 8:55 PM