Torres del Paine Travel Answers

change location

Specific Torres Del Paine advice needed

by seamet Online Now Feb 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Looking to do the W circuit, or a version thereof, in March. However, Chileno, both refugio and campsite, is sold out for the entire month.

My questions are:

a) Can I get from Refugio Torre Norte up to the Torres lookout and back in a day's hike? I'm young and fit, but not an expert trekker. I would be prepared to leave very early to give myself plenty of daylight.

b) If I can't do that, can I get far enough up the path to get a good view of the towers?

c) Is there any alternative accommodation to Chileno? I'd be prepared to pay a reasonable sum. Say US$100.

d) Given the recent fires, if I wanted to cut part of the circuit off, which bit would be wisest?

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • robbye77's Profile Photo

Re: Specific Torres Del Paine advice needed

by robbye77 Online Now Feb 19, 2012 at 5:21 AM

In my opinion you can do it. The usual path people goes on is sleeping the last day at Campamento Torres, wake up about 1 hours or so before dawn and walk all the way up to the torres to see the sunrise there; then back to the campamento, packing tent and stuff, walking the way down to the park exit (Las Torres). So you can do the other way round, definitely much more harder 'cause 'till the lookout the way is just uphill (if i correctly remember should be around 4 hours but not sure). Another issue is that the towers are at their best during sunrise but it's worth see them anyway.
    Did you think to stay overnight at campamento torres wich could be probably the best option?
    Hope this help!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ba31182's Profile Photo

Re: Specific Torres Del Paine advice needed

by ba31182 Online Now Feb 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Hello Seamet,

I've hiked the W circuit this month. To hike from Hosteria Las Torres to the Torres lookout you need ca 4 hours. The last hour is steep and the way is over rocks, but you can do it.

So if you leave at 8 am and spend 1 hour at the lookout, you can be back by 5 pm. The W circuit is open now. However all the way down from Campamento Italiano to Ref Grey is burned down (!!!) but you can trek it.

Warm regards

andre

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines