Torres del Paine Travel Answers

change location

Trekking the "W" in early December... need advice!!

by juliacoreyburns Online Now Oct 22, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Hi All...

i am traveling throughout Patagonia for three weeks in late November - early December; and am planning to visit Torres Del Paine around 12/3-12/9... i would very much like to Trek the "W" in the park, and am in need of advice / information...
i am a pretty experienced trekker, but i am traveling alone, (and certainly do not plan on trekking solo!)... so would love to know the following:

1. are there any resources / contacts that you would reccommend for the solo trekker to join up with others during the same time period??...i know people have mentioned just staying at a hostel and meeting up with someone; but maybe someone has a specific place to contact? or has done a similar trip and could share their experience?...maybe local trekking club to contact?

2. in my research thus far it doesnt really seem like the kind of place where you might hire a guide (i have done this on previous trips just bc i was travelling alone and it was a sure guarantee of a partner who took care of logistics)...is this true, or does any one reccommend hiring a guide?

3. is anyone else of similar situation looking for a travel partner during this time??

any advice is welcome and totally appreciated... thanks so much!!!

julia

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Trekking the "W" in early December... need advice!!

by Huentetu Online Now Oct 23, 2008 at 12:43 AM

If you are staying in Puerto Natales, the afternoon talk at Erratic Rock hostel (free) is worth attending. They give you a lot of tips (present conditios of trails, weather etc.) and you can ask questions. It is a chance to meet others who are going to be in the park at the same time. If you would be more comfortable with a guide they can probably find you one but you won't find them in the park. You could contact them beforehand too. December is early in the season but there will still be a lot of people around. Do try to hook up with others (for safety reasons if nothing else).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines